1. Like the site? Help us keep it running! For $5 you can help keep the site running smoothly and disable ads for life. The site is funded by donations like this and minimal ad revenue: Click here to donate $5. Thank you!

Heteronormativity in video games? (with Poll)

Discussion in 'Gaymers' started by coldsoba, Feb 21, 2020.  |  Print Topic

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 11 users.
  1. coldsoba

coldsoba Lurker

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello, everyone!
    I wanted to know if anyone has experienced negative backlash for their sexuality, or even positive reinforcement from those in the gaming community. Does toxic game culture make you want to be more closeted or open up more? I'm bicurious right now and want to discover more about my sexuality, but I find it difficult because of others' perceptions.

For a major interest project, I'm researching heteronormative tropes as well as some aspects of gender representation in video games. It's hard to gather data in my area, so I've resorted to the internet :( 

Hope to see some discussion in this thread :) 

#1 coldsoba, Feb 21, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2020 at 8:33 AM
  2. rado84
    Horny

rado84 pansexual, atheist
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +167 / 0 / -4
    The most of the games I play don't have a story. Those that do have a story are not related to gender or sexuality in any way, so they don't have such characters. I don't care about that anyway - I'm playing a game to relax both mentally and physically, not to load my brain with stuff, like whether or not LGBT are represented in PC games.

3. Optimistic Dude
    Artistic

Optimistic Dude A famous Nobody
    Premium Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +197 / 0 / -0
    Ahhaa ! Now I remember ! There is Assassin's Creed - Odyssey. If you choose to play as Kassandra, you'll meet many girls with whom you'll fall in love ! :)  :D 

#3 Optimistic Dude, Sep 19, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
  4. the-other-dave

the-other-dave Addictive Contributor
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +140 / 0 / -0
    I haven't experienced or encountered any homophobia in video game communities for a long time. Even gaming communities for games that don't have any gay characters or stories have been mostly positive towards homosexuals.

There are so many video games that have a gay option now, and a lot of them are highly successful and popular games. Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Assassin's Creed...
    When you play Assassin's Creed Odyssey, there is literally an intro screen that says "this game has been developed by people of different sexual orientations, gender identities and religious beliefs" which basically told me i had some gay sex to look forward to as i prgoressed through the game.

If Skyrim didn't have the option to marry a same sex partner, I don't think I would have become as addicted to it as I was. I have actually started new games and created my character based on what I think would be a suitable match for the next NPC I wanted to marry.

Similar when I played Stardew Valley, which is a game with retro style 2d graphics. I reallygot into the relationship that was forming between my character and the NPC who was falling in love with me. My romantic life in video games has been far more exciting than my real life!

So, while it's great that we are getting more representation in video games, it's not doing much to ease my video game addiction!

5. the-other-dave

the-other-dave Addictive Contributor
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +140 / 0 / -0
    Probably the most homophobia I've seen in a video game community is from the Resident Evil fanbase. That's not to say the Resident Evil games are homophobic at all - they are survival horror games about people trying to escape from zombies and monsters, so characters don't have time to explore romance like you would in a role-playing game.

It's when you see the characters' alternative outfits (which sometimes look downright homoerotic) such as Chris Redfield's sailor outfit, or Barry Burton's spandex that all the gay jokes come out, and you even see some fans getting offended by what the programmers have done to their favourite characters just for a bit of humour for when you've finished taking the game seriously.

Some people seem to think that if Chris Redfield was gay, then he wouldn't be able to fight zombies, because apparently only straight men can use firearms and hand-to-hand fighting techniques. It doesn't stop a lot of fans from creating very explicit artwork of male Resident Evil characters going at each other though.

6. rado84
    Horny

rado84 pansexual, atheist
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +167 / 0 / -4
    Which "Mass Effect"? I found 3 of them.

7. Optimistic Dude
    Artistic

Optimistic Dude A famous Nobody
    Premium Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +197 / 0 / -0
    Part 3 !

8. VirginiaWH

VirginiaWH Lurker

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Have never had problems with the story of the game. It is always something general, you know they are also working more in order to create them so they to take into consideration that thing that the game will be played by both parts. So I haven't seen any problems with the stories. Maybe you still have to get into it?! You know I started to look more for the games with a tutorial on how to play it. Now I'm playing this one https://rl.exchange/blog/rocket-league-ranks-list and it took me only some minutes to read the tutorial and to understand everything about this game. I guess that after reading the instructions you won't have more questions related to the game.

#8 VirginiaWH, Nov 19, 2020 at 7:22 AM
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2020 at 10:40 PM
  9. Tights_and_Skirts
    Tired

Tights_and_Skirts That Girl
    Moderator Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +829 / 0 / -2

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.