1. Like the site? Help us keep it running! For $5 you can help keep the site running smoothly and disable ads for life. The site is funded by donations like this and minimal ad revenue: Click here to donate $5. Thank you!

Help!

Discussion in 'Gay' started by Gumbo, Aug 4, 2018.  |  Print Topic

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 4 users.
  1. Gumbo

Gumbo Lurker

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I need help confessing to my parents. My dad is against homosexuality. Any suggestions?

2. River W.
    Festive

River W. Wibbly wobbly, timey wimey... stuff
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +1,796 / 1 / -11
    I know you probably don't want to hear this, but if any one of your parents are homophobic, don't come out. If you're not old enough to move out yet, you DO NOT want to risk anything bad happening to you if you do. They could disown you, or maybe even kick you out of the house. It really does depend on how homophobic they are, but still , you don't want to risk it.

Although, if you're old enough, or have already moved out, I say go ahead! But, just be aware, there's a good chance they might not speak to you again after you do. Idk. Like I said before, it depends on how homophobic they are, and just how willing they are to keep the relationship alive.

As for how you come out, there's not just one single way to come out. I suggest ether getting together with them and calmly explaining it. Or you can send them a letter or message.

I hope this helps! :) 

3. Zannan
    Elated

Zannan Great Learner
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -1
    How hompophobic are they? By the way, if you live in the house, then do as above was stated, do not come out.

This is a hard question but, is there a chance they would kill you for coming out? If so, never come out to them.

4. Gumbo

Gumbo Lurker

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the help!

5. River W.
    Festive

River W. Wibbly wobbly, timey wimey... stuff
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +1,796 / 1 / -11
    No problem!

6. angel70
    Supportive

angel70 The Old Guy
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +4,470 / 1 / -32
    Don't think of it as "a confession" -- it's not like you broke a law, or did anything that requires you to "repent." Also, consider why you want him to know you're gay. Is it just so he'll stop being so blatantly homophobic in your presence? Do you want him to stop asking who you've been shagging lately? Do you think it would be a lot of fun if he blamed himself? Do you want to introduce your boyfriend? You've made it to thirty without telling him, so what's changed?

Hopefully, at thirty, you don't live with him anymore, and you're not as close as you once may have been. If coming out is a final step in asserting your independence, by all means come out to him. Just wait for an appropriate opening -- a homophobic comment, a "gay joke," a sniggering suggestion about your sex life or lack thereof -- and say, "You do know I'm gay, don't you?" Don't let it get all emotional, and don't turn it into a big deal -- just lay it on the table, and see what happens. Until you know how he responds, you won't know how to respond to him.

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.