1. Like the site? Help us keep it running! For $5 you can help keep the site running smoothly and disable ads for life. The site is funded by donations like this and minimal ad revenue: Click here to donate $5. Thank you!

help with coming out and stuff

Discussion in 'Gay' started by OmNimnom, Jan 10, 2018.  |  Print Topic

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 5 users.
  1. OmNimnom
    Creative

OmNimnom A Talented Weirdo
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +149 / 0 / -1
    so I'm coming out to my hyper-religious grandmother Friday. Im writing a letter to her, as I wouldn't be able to sit down and talk with her. WAY too fucking awkward! thankfully my mom and sister have my back. anyway, it just hit me that she may hate my guts by the end of it. what the hell do I do in that case?

2. Ham
    Spaced

Ham Hot Cookie
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    That's a tough one my guy, I'm very much in a similar boat. I haven't come out to any family members, but my grandmother is a devout christian and goes to church every Sunday all that. So I dont think she would take so kindly to me telling her, but at that point, if she dosent love me just because of something like that, why should I give her the time of day. But thats my opinion, im also still confused on the matter. Just know your not alone in that.

3. angel70
    Supportive

angel70 The Old Guy
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +3,211 / 1 / -26
    Don't underestimate your grandmother's capacity for love -- she won't hate your guts. She may be upset or disapproving or terrified that you're bound for hell, but if she's loved you all your life, she won't stop now.

If she's a Christian, she's supposed to hate the "sin" but not the "sinner." Since your mom and sister support you, she's not likely to insist on trying to "convert" you. She's old enough to have adjusted to a lot of disappointments over the course of her life, so I'm sure she can adjust to one more. We old people are extremely resilient -- if we weren't, we'd never have made it to old age.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. Being.
    Depressed

Being. Wasn't looking for love till I found ya
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +611 / 1 / -8
    My sisters a extremely conservative christian, and we're the best of friends.
    It's kinda funny, cause I'm so liberal and she's so reserved, yet we get along better than anyone else.

I find it easier to think of thier hate as something they feel they have to do, lets face it they dont want to hate you, they just feel they have to because of thier book

We kinda just make a joke of it now!
    She tells me about how sinfulI I am, and I joke she's beens religiously programmed.

But at the end of it all we still love each other.

So even if your grandmother reacts bad I'm sure somewhere she still loves YOU.
    They just cant seperate the supposed "sin" from the person.

#4 Being., Jan 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  5. Ham
    Spaced

Ham Hot Cookie
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    might be my new favorite quote

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  6. Being.
    Depressed

Being. Wasn't looking for love till I found ya
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +611 / 1 / -8
    Cool!
    But... I feel like I'm missing the joke or something there XD

7. Truckinra

Truckinra Just be cool,man.
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    One thing you can say about a broken down old man, he's a survivor.
    I personally think you're making a mistake by not being there in person with a great big bouquet of flowers for your grandmother with your mother and your sister by your side give her the flowers hold her hand and talk to her give her that respect don't run and hide. don't stop being Who You Are don't stop loving your family either

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.