1. Like the site? Help us keep it running! For $5 you can help keep the site running smoothly and disable ads for life. The site is funded by donations like this and minimal ad revenue: Click here to donate $5. Thank you!

Have you heard of sexual stereotypes involving vehicles?

Discussion in 'Questioning & General LGBT' started by Jonathan Bailey, Jan 10, 2021.  |  Print Topic

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 5 users.
  1. Jonathan Bailey
    Doubtful

Jonathan Bailey Plumcrazy Preston
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -7
    In the army I once gave another soldier a ride in my red Corvette. He said he was a little bit embarrassed to ride in the "B" seat and thought a female passenger should be more appropriate there. I did give a young army woman in my unit a ride there too also. I've given other army guys rides there but there was no sign of sexual squeamishness on their part. Some people think it "gay" for two guys to be riding two up on a motorcycle. What about two guys riding double on a horse? One country song (I can't remember which) indicates that a man who drives a pickup truck is "straight". I've heard that only gay men own classic Cadillac convertibles. I've heard that Lincoln automobiles are more masculine than Cadillacs. Small imported cars according to my father were "for girls". One used car ad in the 1980's stated that they were selling a powder blue small car "for a young girl's first car". A male roommate I once had said he thought "people might think we are gay" if we both show up somewhere in a red '89 Mustang GT 5.0 convertible. My father said large Buicks are for old ladies. My mother said she dated an older boy in high school with a pink Cadillac in the 1950's but there was nothing odd about that according to her. She said he was a handsome blond. This young fellow criticized my mother as a schoolgirl for having a voice that was "too cute" for his tastes as she was talking to him in a child-like playful fashion to try to be affectionate.

Name some of the vehicle sexual/gender stereotypes you might have encountered.

#1 Jonathan Bailey, Jan 10, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
  2. Pibaire
    Fine

Pibaire Village Idiot
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +184 / 0 / -0
    Back when I was well enough to ride, I had a wonderful Royal Enfield 500.
    I called her "Leigh Enfield", but hardly anyone under 50 understood the reference.

#2 Pibaire, Jan 10, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
  3. Jonathan Bailey
    Doubtful

Jonathan Bailey Plumcrazy Preston
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -7
    A motorcycle? What was the sex stereotype? Oh, you called HER a SHE. Typical feminine connotation to vehicles. The Volkswagen in the Disney films was a HE. Herbie the Love Bug. A male because he was ugly. Homophobes did not want masculinity associated with beauty and elegance. A finned 1964 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz convertible in cherry shape would definitely be a SHE. But even homely green army trucks are sometimes called SHE by soldiers, so go figure. In the army when I was in, one soldier had Big Bertha on the front bumper of his assigned diesel truck.

Things like airplanes, ships, boats, machines, guns, weapons and vehicles are often regarded as female because one's life often totally depends on them as a baby inside the womb totally depends on its mother for sustainment of life. It's also a male pride thing. A man likes total command and control of his vehicle or ship, hence his lady. This is often why guys hate horses, another gender stereotype regarding transportation. Horses can sometimes spook and get out of hand.

#3 Jonathan Bailey, Jan 10, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
  4. Rocinante

Rocinante Greenhorn
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -1
    Let's face it, two men riding two up on a motorcycle IS gay! However, the same can be said about two women on a motorcycle- Hahahahaha...now that doesn't mean they ARE gay, lol. The word gay has a lot of meanings and some of it, sometimes can be satirical.

I give female names to my vehicles and my guns so that's not just a guy thing to do. I agree with Jonathan's explanation.

What you're talking about are just silly average and harmless stereotypes. I just don't understand on any level why so many people now days give so much power to these kinds colloquialisms and minor stereotypes. Who cares what they think about you or who you have in your passenger seat! The only person's opinion that actually matters at the end of the day is yours!

As Marie-Antoinette allegedly said: "Let them eat cake!"

5. Altasan
    Lucky

Altasan something something
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +65 / 0 / -0
    I agree. This thread makes me think of a trip I took to Greece several years ago. When I was in Athens, on several occasions, I saw several instances of two male cops on one motorcycle. It was funny to me at the time because it's not something I'm used to seeing, but all the humor really came from dumb stereotypes. Why should it be such a big deal for any two people to be on a motorcycle together? Who cares?

On a side note: Rocinante such a great name! Big Don Quixote fan here!

6. Rocinante

Rocinante Greenhorn
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -1
    Two cops on the same bike!?? Hahahahaha, that'll never get old.

Actually my use of Rocinante is an homage to Rush's song Cygnus-X1 from their Farewell to Kings album and also in honor of the MCRN Gunship Tachi that was salvaged by James Holden and his crew who re-named the craft Rocinante in the S.E. Cory book series Leviathan Wakes and the TV series The Expanse

7. Altasan
    Lucky

Altasan something something
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +65 / 0 / -0
    Well, I like Rush and I love The Expanse so still a thumbs up from me. I'm not sure about the Rush song, but the ship name in The Expanse is definitely a Don Quixote reference.

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.