1. Like the site? Help us keep it running! For $5 you can help keep the site running smoothly and disable ads for life. The site is funded by donations like this and minimal ad revenue: Click here to donate $5. Thank you!

Germany bans conversion practices for minors.

Discussion in 'News & Politics' started by john1010101, May 13, 2020.  |  Print Topic

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 2 users.
  1. john1010101
    Old Hag

Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +503 / 0 / -5
  2. Iharos
    Bookworm

Iharos Addictive Contributor
    Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    :O This was still legal?!

3. john1010101
    Old Hag

Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +503 / 0 / -5
    Yes and in some countries where it’s now illegal it goes on underground. I Australia a number of fundamentalist Christian groups hide behing drug therapy fronts. As a volunteer on a gay crisis line I’ve had direct experience of the often disasterous consequences, often suicide.
    At least the number of countries where this barbaric practice is banned is increasing.
    https://www.hrw.org/news/2020/05/20/albanian-psychologists-prohibit-anti-lgbt-conversion-therapy
    We need to be realistic though given a number of Middle Eastern nations for instance still enforce stoning to death for passive sodomy. Some being more liberal give the ‘guilty’ the option of a sex change operation which is frequently performed by the medically unqualified with many deaths resulting.

#3 john1010101, May 21, 2020
    Last edited: May 21, 2020
  4. Iharos
    Bookworm

Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    Learning about things like these make me give up a bit inside. There is nothing I can do to help, to make it better. Sure, I can try to help the people around me, I can be a voice for others - but that won't change much for where things are going really badly.

Why do people turn against other people?

5. john1010101
    Old Hag

Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +503 / 0 / -5
    Why do people turn against other people? Tribalism and a seldom discussed aspect of human evolution, specifically an imbalance in the development of our species brain.
    Others here are probably sick of me referencing this tome but all I can suggest is a reading of Arthur Koestler’s “The Ghost in The Machine” {Kösztler Artúr; was a Hungarian author and journalist.} shines a light a problem that could easily result in our self engineered extinction.

#5 john1010101, May 22, 2020
    Last edited: May 22, 2020
  6. Iharos
    Bookworm

Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    Thanks. I'll see whether I manage to add that book my ever growing list of books I want to read. ^^
    I believe that beside all the evolutionary insticts that we carry we have one outstanding trait: empathy. To such a degree, that we are capable of crying solely because we think of a certain situation another being faces. This is, in my opinion, the key. It is not something that we are in general very aware of, though.
    Nevertheless - we are capable of this. If only it were something that people all around the globe would want to invest into and cherrish.

7. john1010101
    Old Hag

Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +503 / 0 / -5
    Way off topic but I immediately wondered how you’d handle (treat?) a sociopath with music therapy. I’m thinking of the kind of individual who claws their way to the top of politics, business and the military leaving a trail of victims behind them. But then again I doubt any such individual would willingly submit to anything like music therapy.

8. Iharos
    Bookworm

Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    There are many other forms of therapy - not only music therapy. Art therapy offer a very wide array of things that can help.
    And of course this is not the way for everyone. Some people are immensely blocked when faced with the task of drawing anything.
    For about a year I was leading a writing group in an institution that helped people to recover from mental illness. It is a very rewarding and interesting field of work, but of course hard at first, when the people have to first find the form they can and need to express themselves.

9. john1010101
    Old Hag

Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +503 / 0 / -5
    My form is collage/montage but I can’t be bothered with the absurd protocol required to post images here.

10. Iharos
    Bookworm

Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    I believe that the works created through a therapeutic process are mostly meant for the artist and the therapist - together they can analyse the creation and understand how and what the unconscious took part in it.
    Eventually pieces can be published of course. It really depends on the topics/issues, whether other will be able to relate to the outcome/journey.

The institution I worked at provided space for the clients to show their work. But it stayed within the institution since the technical skill of most of the artwork was not of a standard that could have withstood the critics of the world. That's not the aim of such a therapy anyway. But a few clients really invested their time into refining their art and have been published.

11. john1010101
    Old Hag

Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +503 / 0 / -5
    For me creating artwork is mainly therapeutic . I have an intense loathing of the commercial art-world. Some time ago a friend attempted to talk me into mounting a show at his gallery. He invited me to a show he was holding for another artist . Two customers made me even more determined never to put a foot into that realm.
    Her: “ No darling, we can’t hang that in the lounge, it will clash with the lounge suit”
    Him:” No problem. If I offer him enough money to do another one like that with more orange. I’m sure he’ll oblige”
    That and an episode when I worked as a chef. One of my large collages hung next to the open kitchen. After dining a group of art lecturers gave my work close inspection. The bewildering and totally inaccurate analysis they gave it forced me to interrupt their learned dissertation by informing them they were all wrong. “How would you know” was an immediate response. “Because I’m the fucking artist” was mine.

All that may indicate no more than the fragility of my ego.

I did accept a number of private commissions but after a consistent pattern of having patrons attempt to direct how and what I was portraying I gave up that idea too.

12. john1010101
    Old Hag

Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +503 / 0 / -5

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.