1. Like the site? Help us keep it running! For $5 you can help keep the site running smoothly and disable ads for life. The site is funded by donations like this and minimal ad revenue: Click here to donate $5. Thank you!

Gay Science Fiction

Discussion in 'General (Off Topic)' started by john1010101, Jul 31, 2020.  |  Print Topic

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 2 users.
  1. john1010101
    Old Hag

Premium Supporter Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +621 / 0 / -11
    Being a pretentious old poof I tend to avoid fiction and read only non-fiction but of late I’ve started to nose around for some well constructed novels. In my youth I read a huge amount of science fiction but haven’t been near it for decades. Maybe because it was nearly all just hetro cowboys and indians in outer space.
    So today I started hunting for recent science fiction works featuring gay males or dykes as the lead characters. There are a few with lesbians as the central characters but very few with male/male relationships taking central place. A web search has dug up a few but they tend to be that mongrel genre the fantasy novel that just happens to have a few science fiction elements.
    A web search has dug up this and not much more :- https://www.barnesandnoble.com/blog/sci-fi-fantasy/where-are-all-the-queer-men-in-sci-fi/
    Does anyone know of recent science fiction works where the central characters are ‘real’ gay men, not necessarily heroes, villains would do.

#1 john1010101, Jul 31, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
  2. john1010101
    Old Hag

Ratings:
    +621 / 0 / -11
    #2 john1010101, Aug 1, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  3. bi-fi signal
    Alienated

bi-fi signal *bi intensifies*
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +185 / 0 / -0
    not rly sci fi, more like fantasy but i heard Carry On by Rainbow Rowell is basically harry potter but gay

4. john1010101
    Old Hag

Ratings:
    +621 / 0 / -11
    I always thought Harry Potter was in the closet anyway.
    Count me out when it comes to fantasy. I stopped believing in fairy stories, including the one about God, 65 years ago.

5. BiBearSSNV
    Caffeine Fix

BiBearSSNV Daddy Bear
    Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +146 / 1 / -0
    I will be watching this thread. I am a voracious reader, have nothing really to add as far as books. Gay relationships in the various genre of writing out there is predominantly missing. I would love to see and read more of it myself.

6. john1010101
    Old Hag

Ratings:
    +621 / 0 / -11
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_LGBT_characters_in_modern_written_fiction
    As a child I was fascinated with a collection of illustrations of gay sexuality illustrated on Greek pottery my grandfather had collected. https://www.livius.org/articles/concept/greek-homosexuality/
    Gay sexuality ran in my family back to great, great grandfather as far as I’ve been able to assertain.

#6 john1010101, Aug 1, 2020
  7. BiBearSSNV
    Caffeine Fix

BiBearSSNV Daddy Bear
    Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +146 / 1 / -0
    That is really cool about the family origins. Regardless of what many would like to think, it has been around since the human race has been around. I am sure before as well, if you look at biology.

8. john1010101
    Old Hag

Ratings:
    +621 / 0 / -11
    Don’t know about cool as the family came to Australia when Great, Great Grandad was sprung having it off with a stable boy by the local Bishop and church chior. Given a choice of hanging or deportation to Australia for his sins (another long story) he chose deportation.
    In the context of gay literature, not fiction, my Grandfather’s journals (when a captain in the navy and when head warder of the Old Melbourne Jail) were fascinating documents. As a young thing I was obsessed with the homo-erotic drawings. Sadly my Grandmother destroyed all his journals when I asked could she leave them to me in her will.
    Way off topic, sorry.

#8 john1010101, Aug 1, 2020
  9. john1010101
    Old Hag

Ratings:
    +621 / 0 / -11

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.