1. Like the site? Help us keep it running! For $5 you can help keep the site running smoothly and disable ads for life. The site is funded by donations like this and minimal ad revenue: Click here to donate $5. Thank you!

Fantasy/Sci-fi Writers

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by Bornunderabadsign, Nov 7, 2019 at 10:15 AM.  |  Print Topic

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 2 users.
  1. Bornunderabadsign
    Cloud_9

Bornunderabadsign Transfeminine Natural Disaster
    Moderator Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +2,113 / 0 / -1
    Writing was one of my hobbies for a long time and I'm getting back into it. I thought I would start a thread to discuss writing ideas for the Fantasy and Sci-fi genres as that is my favorite genre.

How would you rationalize multiple intelligent species on a single planet?

2. Corvus
    Chatty

Corvus Agender chatterbox
    Premium Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +460 / 0 / -0
    As it is it's even difficult to find multiple intelligent beings in close proximity in our own planet :p 

Seriously though, are we talking multiple intelligent species native to the planet? And if so, how far off from the same branch of evolution are we talking about?

3. Bornunderabadsign
    Cloud_9

Moderator Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +2,113 / 0 / -1
    True enough. XD

I was thinking that they would be native to the same planet and maybe sharing a common ancestor but it doesn't have to be that way.

Thought my favorite fictions there have been many explanations like each "race" was created by different gods in a pantheon or that the planet is a Nexus between multiple planes of existence.

For example, without using magic as a default excuse to bend the rules, humans and elves would have to have a common ancestor that wasn't to distant in order to create a viable cross species. Thus would have to be genetically similar and likely share the same number of chromosomes. If they can produce offspring but said offspring was infertile it would likely be caused by a chromosomal mismatch where one species has slightly more or less chromosomes like mules.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  4. Corvus
    Chatty

Corvus Agender chatterbox
    Premium Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +460 / 0 / -0
    Ok nice, I was unaware that mules were infertile. Productive conversation already ;) 

But yeah, if you want 2 species to closely resemble each other they would have to come from the same branch of evolution but that is not always necessary. Of course that from an evolution standpoint most intelligent species would most likely be bipedal and have 2 "arms", due to energy consumption efficiency while still being able to evolve in a manner similar to humans (if that's what you're going for) but they can also have a different starting point, making them quite different in appearance and maybe even functioning. There's also the question of what sort of atmosphere exists in said planet.

Most important though, is the "iceberg" sort of storytelling. You want to show your readers only a small part of your worldbuilding, as not to overload your story but just as effective is to just have the illusion of the iceberg, where readers think there's a lot going on below the surface but without you having to come up with all of it. No point in going to deep if it isn't useful to the story you're trying to tell.

But yeah, I'm of the opinion that "you have one buy" per book. Meaning, one thing you ask your reader to believe, the rest you actually have to work for. Mostly the buy is "there's magic" but a lot of books go down the "a wizard did it" rabbit hole where the answer to everything is magic...that gets very tiring very quickly, depending on how big of your story is based on that answer.

5. Bornunderabadsign
    Cloud_9

Moderator Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +2,113 / 0 / -1
    This post isn't just about my ideas anyone can post ideas for feedback. :) 

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.