1. Like the site? Help us keep it running! For $5 you can help keep the site running smoothly and disable ads for life. The site is funded by donations like this and minimal ad revenue: Click here to donate $5. Thank you!

Transgender Family

Discussion in 'Transgender' started by Gabriella58, Dec 8, 2019.  |  Print Topic

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 6 users.
  1. Gabriella58

Gabriella58 Gabriella

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Why is it when a family member is told you are transgender that turn them in to the biggest bigot and think it’s fine to tell everyone your news and try to turn it in to hate is this normally the way sad .

2. BiBiLife
    Badass

BiBiLife Still breathing
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +2,930 / 3 / -6
    I'm very sorry this has happened. No, it's not always this way. My girlfriend's parents took the news that she is transgender fairly well, although they are still adjusting to calling her by her chosen name.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  3. RuneBeau
    Happy

RuneBeau Polyromantic Demisexual Trans Guy
    Moderator Premium Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +645 / 0 / -0
    It's hard for people to let go of who they thought you were, especially when they can't understand what being transgender is. All they hear is that you aren't going to be you anymore and that scares them. When they see how happy you are being yourself and that you aren't a stranger they'll come around, most of the time anyway.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  4. SneakyDee
    Disappointed

SneakyDee One With The Shadows

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Dealing with this right now too. My sister had a hard time at first in exactly the way you said. Told me at one point that she had to "mourn the loss of her brother", but she's gotten a lot better. Now that I've let my mom in on it, hopefully my sis will be able to help her through the adjustment a bit.

My biggest fear is that the toxicity that Gabriella described will rear it's ugly head when the news starts getting to less immediate family members. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst, I guess.

5. Corvus
    Chatty

Corvus Agender chatterbox
    Premium Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +2,096 / 0 / -0
    I feel you...I told my wife about me being agender and she's still in the "pretending the conversation didn't occur" stage...I definitely don't think I can tell her I'm asexual too.
    My nephew also knows (had to have a chat with him about homophobic jokes and things cascaded) and he's "cool with it" but I don't think he really understands the ramifications.
    His mother (my sister) had a complete freak out because my son likes to wear nail polish and said we were horrible parents for corrupting our son like that...I'm sure a "hey sis, I'm LGBT" conversation with her would go splendid.

The sad thing is, these are the people who I was sure would understand (the rest of my family would stone me)...big let down.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. Searchlight

Searchlight Greenhorn
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    It doesn't always go this way. My sister has been quiet for months after I told her. She hasn't told a soul as far as I'm aware. My wife, on the other hand, has told a few people that I really wasn't ready for her to tell and I am still a little hurt by that.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

7. Gabriella58

Gabriella58 Gabriella

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I hear you and share all you’re pain first hand but it gives me hope that one day we will all be excepted for who we are and not judged for something we have struggled with all our life’s thank you

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  8. Corvus
    Chatty

Corvus Agender chatterbox
    Premium Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +2,096 / 0 / -0
    Just keep being you and I hope eventually people will fall in line, and if they don't...well, very few people are irreplaceable to begin with.

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.