1. Like the site? Help us keep it running! For $5 you can help keep the site running smoothly and disable ads for life. The site is funded by donations like this and minimal ad revenue: Click here to donate $5. Thank you!

Exams Suck

Discussion in 'College/University' started by Star16, Oct 29, 2019.  |  Print Topic

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.

Thread Status:
This thread is more than 365 days old.
Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 5 users.
  1. Star16
    Dead

Star16 there's a screen on my chest
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -0
    I am a freshman at the University of Alaska Anchorage and I am slowly dying due to stress lol. Last week was supposively the end of midterms and I was estatic. I only take 4 classes but they still kill me. Last night, I couldn't sleep so I decided to look through my syllabus for my communications class. To my surprise, I have an exam for the class next week. On top of that I have a paper due on tuesday (next week) for my writing class; an exam that opens tomorrow for my math class, a quiz on Thurday for my psychology class, and I still owe $2112 to the school. On top of that, my parents took me off their car insurance since I got a minor speeding ticket and they found out that I have pride flags in my room. SO.... does anyone have any good stress cooping mechanisms? Cause I have now shaved and dyed my hair, broke down in a laughing/crying state in class, and I'm trying to avoid my RA so I don't see the disappointing look in his eyes.

2. Former Member #2

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It only gets worse. :-P Ok, sorry, that didn't help. I am currently battling a hefty class load as well. I can tell you that first term in college is sorta like boot camp for the brain. You've been dumped into the deep end and you are learning how to tread water. I "cope" by using a combination of positive thinking and staying focused with the mindset that it will end, and it's just temporary. I also play video games and listen to music and watch shows and go out with friends..in other words, despite being overwhelmed, you have to continue to enjoy life. Reward your hard work with some relaxing and fun time. I try to wipe out my weekend homework on Friday so I can get a couple days off. If there is an exam I will study on Sunday night, but overall it's about life balance through the storm. What will happen is you will settle into this new "norm" and the panic you are feeling now will become routine. Getting the term done and under our belt does wonders for confidence. It sounds like part of your problems are financial too, that's pretty normal as well. maybe have a heart to heart with dad about the stress you are feeling, and tell him you will try to make ends meet, but you may need a bail out every once in awhile.

3. Peter Smith
    Studious

Peter Smith Rving with a wheel or two missing
    Premium Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    Agreed. It gets easier. I remember those feelings, like drowning in duty, (I did not say doodie...oh...ok...I did).

After completing four other degrees, now in the final year of a fifth, I can tell you, it WILL get easier. Heck, I reached a point where I worked full-time and took on four courses per semester. It's because it becomes a rythym, a patterned way of studying and regurgitating in the style and format professors want. It will become second nature in time...but it will take time to think in terms of not hanging onto a tiger by its tail, instead, learning how to ride it. To cope...my first year I learned that drunken parties were NOT the answers, (dang near failed a few courses). Instead, I found going for walks in nature, carrying my flashcards helped. Having things like this chatroom is what I use now, 'cause I am having trouble staying focused on the books and need the distraction every couple of hours, but give yourself a time limit for whatever distraction you chose, so you get BACK to the studies. I don't know if this will help, but when my daughter came to me and opened up about the stress and time constraints, I offered support, understanding, and RESOURCES: food delivery, reconsideration of her using my pickup, a faster computer, respect for her time constraints and visiting . I think it made a difference to ease her burden, but, I am not sure.

The key, though, is taking time for yourself, planning study hours, and not letting anything mess with that plan. In time, it will become easier. Your last year courses will not be harder than your first year courses. You will evolve as a student.

When panicked, like exam anxiety. I do something called combat breathing: in a four second window, close your eyes, shut out those things rushing through your mind to focus solely on your breathing...two to four seconds deep in, two seconds to four seconds out. Repeat a few times. When you open your eyes, your books should be in front of you, and you should be able to do what you need to do with stress behind you for at least a while.

...and don't give it to the offer of socializing during your planned study time! ...I never get back to books on days I give in.

My best hopes are with you, you WILL reach your goals!

#3 Peter Smith, Nov 2, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
  4. Kaycee
    Pacman

Kaycee Hot Cookie
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    The first year is the worst honestly, your work load is increased exponential from what you are used to and trying to figure out how to juggle everything is tricky. Expect emotional breakdowns. Your RA is not going to judge you, it just feels like that when you feel like you are failing. It feels like everyone's judging you but honestly the thing that people don't tell you is failure is normal. Things don't always go how you planned and falling down is okay as long as you pick yourself back up. Do what you can to stay on top of things but prioritize. Yes you want the best marks you can manage but prioritizing can save you from even more stress. Look at how much something is weighted, and when it's due and decide the order you need to do something in. If you absolutely can't finish everything, decide what can fall through the cracks if it comes down to it. (Don't let it slide unless you really have to though) Schedule in breaks to your study time, it keeps you from losing focus as often and helps you de-stress. Even 10 minutes every half and hour to an hour is enough to get you back on track and feeling better. What people don't tell you is your first year is almost always your worst. You can do this, you got this, even if it doesn't feel like you do!

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.

Thread Status:
This thread is more than 365 days old.