1. Like the site? Help us keep it running! For $5 you can help keep the site running smoothly and disable ads for life. The site is funded by donations like this and minimal ad revenue: Click here to donate $5. Thank you!

Doctors asking about Orientation?

Discussion in 'General (Off Topic Lounge)' started by anonymous3.14, Jan 9, 2017.  |  Print Topic

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 5 users.
  1. anonymous3.14

anonymous3.14 Hot Cookie
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    On a form I had to fill out at the pediatrician, one question asked:
    Have you ever wondered if you were lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender?
    I checked no (a lie, but not something I was ready to talk about), but was curious what would happen if I checked yes. For those of you, particularly teenagers, who disclosed your sexuality to your doctor, what was the effect?

2. Rafael
    Balanced

Rafael Observer
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    In most cases, this means your doctor is trying to determine your risk factor for certain diseases, mostly STDS like hepatitis and HIV. It will affect his line of questioning and the suggestions he offers when advising you how to live healthy and protect yourself from diseases. If you're worried about be being outed by your doctor, don't be in most cases. Assuming you live in the states, your doctor must keep your answers private until such a time you say it's okay to reveal what you and your doctor discussed to your parents. Disclaimer: these are generalizations and what I said here can widely vary from doctor to doctor, state to state, country to country.

3. pastagod
    No Mood

pastagod Gone
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -10
    I've come across this line of questioning myself (though at a regular doctor's office as I am no longer a minor) in the form of a multiple choice question asking specifically about the orientation I identified as. At the time, I most definitely wasn't comfortable answering, and seeing as I had never engaged in any activities, I saw no problem with not answering it at all. They didn't question me about it afterward, either. Not answering is also an option, and unless the doctor pushes to know, I don't personally see why leaving it blank would cause issues.

That being said, Rafael is probably correct.

#3 pastagod, Jan 9, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  4. Jingle
    Adorable

Jingle Hot Cookie
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Questions like that on doctors' forms are normal, they are just making sure to ask the right questions in order to help you prevent certain disease outcomes. And yes, you are protected by HIPAA laws! Doctors, nurses, pharmacists, etc. may not disclose patient information without your permission. However, they are definitely discriminatory when on blood donation forms in the US because the law bans gays from donating blood.

On the flip side, I know when the forms ask for your biological sex, they need it to calculate the kidney functions and some drug dosing.

I hope this was helpful! ^^

5. Halloween
    Batty

Halloween †Яick oЯ †Яea†?
    Moderator Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +1,453 / 0 / -42
    I wish I would have lied when I used to donate blood, so that I could have kept donating.

I donated for a year, starting the summer I turned 18. Even though each time you donate you have to fill out the same form again, with all the same question, I was fully aware of the question that asked "Have you ever had sex with someone of the same sex, even once?" I was not aware that if you ever check yes you can no longer donate. I just thought maybe they would test your blood twice or something.

At that time I had not, so I could have kept donating and stayed honest on the form. But that was also the year that I came out, and was in this real rebellious punk-rock, If You Don't Like Who I am, Than Fuck You! stage, so once I read about the gay blood ban online, the next time the Blood Center called to remind me enough time had passed for me to come back and make another donation, I got on the phone and said "I'm gay, you don't want my blood." and hung up the phone....they never called back.

I regret it. I wish I would have kept my mouth shut.

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.