1. Like the site? Help us keep it running! For $5 you can help keep the site running smoothly and disable ads for life. The site is funded by donations like this and minimal ad revenue: Click here to donate $5. Thank you!

Do you think LGBT celebs "owe it to you" to come out?

Discussion in 'Questioning & General LGBT' started by Happyninja42, Nov 13, 2017.  |  Print Topic

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 8 users.
  1. Happyninja42
    Happy

Happyninja42 Hot Cookie
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Ok so, this question is due to a conversation I had with a friend of mine a few years ago. He's a gay man, and it was around the time a female astronaut had come out as lesbian, yeaaaars after she had stopped being an astronaut. There was some chatter in some social circles, and this friend of mine shared the view, that she should've come out earlier. Nevermind this was in the 80's-90's that she was an active astronaut, she still should've come out. He actually said "Once someone is a celebrity, they give up any right to privacy".

Now my view is that a person, of any sexual orientation or identification, has the right to be as private or public as they want with their life. Just because they become famous, doesn't mean they somehow sign away their rights to a private life. That somehow this gives all of us permission to invade every single facet of their lives, and put it out there for the whole world. But he did think so. And I'm curious how common this opinion is in the LGBT community.

Now I'm not trying to drum up any shitposting or flamewars or anything. I understand this subject has the potential to be a...heated debate. I'd really just like a general idea of how prevalent this view is in the community. Because I think it's a pretty damn terrifying mindset to have about the rights of privacy for anyone, LGBT or otherwise. But I've only ever heard it openly expressed in the context of "people who came out of the closet, and why they should've done it sooner" type discussions.

So what are your thoughts? Is this something you hear a lot? Is it something of the outlier opinion in the community?

2. Emiliano
    Tired

Emiliano Coney Island Baby
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -4
    I don’t agree that celebrities or any kind of public figure has no right to privacy, and I don’t feel that I’m personally owed anything from them. But I think it greatly benefits other lgbtq people and our acceptance by the broader society when public figures do come out or live openly.

The representations of the lgbtq are so limited to begin with, that’s it’s good to see diverse examples of what gay looks like, or what roles trans people fulfill in a society.

It takes bravery and an assumption of risk for many people to be out, so I disagree with pressuring someone just because they are famous or at the top of their field and none of us should feel entitled to knowing the details of another persons private life. But when they do come out, I agree with celebrating and supporting that decision in general.

I don’t think stereotypes are broken by distancing oneself from the stereotype or throwing those who fit a stereotype under a bus. They are broken when a more complex, multifaceted, and diverse bigger picture of whatever identity is able to be revealed.

#2 Emiliano, Nov 13, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
  3. Happyninja42
    Happy

Happyninja42 Hot Cookie
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Oh I agree having rolemodels is very important, and anyone that WANTS to come out is fine by me. I just have an issue with the idea that they are obligated to do so "by the community." Using that very status as a rolemodel to try and perhaps guilt them into doing something they don't want to do. Because I do feel there is a big difference in "being in the closet" and just being a private person.

4. angel70
    Supportive

angel70 The Old Guy
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +3,005 / 1 / -24
    Nobody has to come out to the public -- but those who do should try not to do it the way Kevin Spacey did.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  5. Stormlord
    Adorable

Stormlord Hot Cookie
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    no - they may not be in a safe place to do so and it could destroy their careers

why hurt them in that way?

<3 Storm

6. Alecia
    Educated

Alecia An actual pigeon.
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    Short answer: no. They're people just like us.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. ~Penny~

~Penny~ Greenhorn
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    It's up to the individual to decide when the time is right - celebrity or otherwise. No one "should" have to do anything just because they are popular.

8. Happyninja42
    Happy

Happyninja42 Hot Cookie
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    But do you hear this sentiment a lot in the LGBT community? I get your stances on it, and I agree, but I'm also curious if this is a common opinion, or somewhat rare.

9. Emiliano
    Tired

Emiliano Coney Island Baby
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -4
    The only time I’ve heard my friends talk about how someone should be forced out of the closet is in regards to political or religious leaders who speak against homosexuality or use their power to try to enact laws that would restrict our rights and freedoms.
    Like Ted Haggard, for example.

10. GayQuakerguy
    Sad

GayQuakerguy Hot Cookie
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    my view is that "celebrities" dont owe me anything and if they want to come out then fine look at Darren Young for example he came out whilst still an active wrestler he got universal support from people in the industry and good for him but if you want to stay in the closet thats ok too who you sleep with celebrity or not is not my business

11. ~Penny~

~Penny~ Greenhorn
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Can't say I've met that many people like your friend. Most people I have met agree that there's a time and a place for everything and the only time you "should" come out is when you are ready :) . Personally it sounds inconsiderate to me for someone to think they get to decide that a person should come out or not. It's not even just about LGBT-related issues. Imagine any secret some person has - they have no obligation to share it. They share it when the time is right.

#11 ~Penny~, Nov 15, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
  12. Imnotsure
    Joyful

Imnotsure Young bi guy
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +37 / 1 / -0
    You should remember celebs are people too. Many people struggle to come out to friends and family, imagine that on a GLOBAL scale.

People have the right to keep information about their private life secret if they want and no one should intrude on that right either.

13. Happyninja42
    Happy

Happyninja42 Hot Cookie
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    I am aware that celebs are people too. I don't have this viewpoint, I'm asking if others do and how common it is in the LGBT community.

14. EnigmaWind
    Spaced

EnigmaWind Greenhorn

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -1
    I got one word for ya;

No.

15. Imnotsure
    Joyful

Imnotsure Young bi guy
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +37 / 1 / -0
    Ah okay fair enough

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.