1. Like the site? Help us keep it running! For $5 you can help keep the site running smoothly and disable ads for life. The site is funded by donations like this and minimal ad revenue: Click here to donate $5. Thank you!

Asexual Do you consider asexual part of the lgbt+ community

Discussion in 'Asexual & Grey-Ace' started by Mattm, Mar 15, 2019.  |  Print Topic

?

Do you consider asexual part of the lgbt+ community

1. They are LGBT+

36 vote(s)
    85.7%
  2. They are not LGBT+

3 vote(s)
    7.1%
  3. Depends (Comment)

3 vote(s)
    7.1%

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 22 users.
  1. Mattm

Mattm Lurker

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I've been seeing some people who are saying that asexual people are not lgbt, I wanted to get some opinions from other lgbt people just to see what the general consensus is
    Please include reasoning ^^ ty

2. River W.
    Jammie

River W. Dancing with myself <3
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +2,756 / 1 / -14
    I'm grey-ace myself, so yeah, I do consider asexuality to be part of the community. :) 

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Reiichiru
    Anime Lover

Reiichiru Nico!
    Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +282 / 0 / -0
    I'd say say sure why not?

It'd be nice to get to a point where there's just people and not 'lgbt+' and straight, and groups wouldn't be as necessary.

But in the meantime, a group is useful. I think without having a larger group to join hands with they would struggle to get the support they need and awareness of their very existence out there.
    They're a kind of sexuality too. If bisexuals want to have sex with 2+ genders, ace want little to no sex? (Someone who knows more could express it more eloquently.)

I guess why not could be...
    • Arguing it's not a sexuality?
    But I don't think I agree with that? I'm not very informed on why though.
    • Arguing being ace doesn't effect your social status?
    So like based on if people know you are open same-sex relationships, that you'll receive some stigma and that these marginalized groups should unite. I think basing entry into lgbt+ based on (a lack of) privileged points and 'my life is so hard because' is very negative. You'd end up arguing that people from countries with pro-lgbt+ laws don't deserve to be in the group? Or that bisexuals in straight relationships are out.
    Marginalized groups should work together though, imo.

I guess they suffer from the same problems as the others; people not understanding or denying their existence.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  4. Reiichiru
    Anime Lover

Reiichiru Nico!
    Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +282 / 0 / -0
    So like, you'd argue they're only LGBT+ when they're attracted to the same-sex? I can see that logic for labeling purposes. But if your logic was 'Lgbt is love/lust for people outside of a hetro-normative structure' then they could be included?
    (that it could even be defined that way feels cr*ppy tbh??)

So for the sake of argument, if at a lgbt meet people were considering how to help ace people, would you consider that not part of their mandate?

On a functional level, would there be another group they could cooperate with? Should they simply form an Ace group?
    And does it harm lgbt in any way to have Ace included? And who should or shouldn't be included?

I'm not strongly attached to the ideas, I'm just playing devils advocate in order to sort of.. deconstruct the ideas so we can test if the ideas are solid, you know? Like to they stand up to criticism. I'm tipsy af though so lol

5. Sir A.G
    Depressed

Sir A.G Trans & Pan
    Premium Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +2,700 / 1 / -5
    I don't know much about asexuality, but I see no reason to exclude it.

6. Bornunderabadsign
    Cloud_9

Bornunderabadsign Transfeminine Natural Disaster
    Moderator Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +2,234 / 0 / -1
    Yes, people on the ace spectrum are a member of LGBTQ+. Just like a homoromantic heterosexual person would be a member. Asexuality is a valid sexuality to possess and is different from the heteromantic heterosexual cisgender statistical norm.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  7. Alsthom
    Sarcastic

Alsthom Princess Chick Pea

Ratings:
    +707 / 0 / -1
    I think anyone who has real deep questions about not being in the cis-het norm belongs in the LGBT+ community.
    So, yes, to me the whole ace spectrum is welcome!

Besides, I think the point of the LGBT+ community isn't just to be a closed group, and say "hey, we exist", to get this answer "K, whatever".
    We want to break the norms and make everyone accepted without question. And the more people we have, the stronger we are!

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. Thief King Bakura
    Kickass

Thief King Bakura I solenmly swear I am Up to no good.
    Moderator Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +4,480 / 0 / -6
    [​IMG]
    Honestly, I couldn't have said it better myself. I consider ace/asexual to be apart of the LGBT+ community. I don't have any reason not to. Reiichiru pretty much said everything I would have said so yeah..

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. BiBiLife
    Loved

BiBiLife Forever in debt to your priceless advice.
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +2,517 / 2 / -5
    100% agreed. I would've said the same.

10. Jessica45
    Benevolent

Jessica45 Bisexual mtf. Slightly insane
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +1,482 / 0 / -2
    Sure why not. I often feel I don’t really belong myself. I’m bi, but prefer women and am very comfortable in the straight world.

11. Reiichiru
    Anime Lover

Reiichiru Nico!
    Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +282 / 0 / -0

I watched the video. It's mostly an opinion piece though, I mean there didn't seem to be much actual fact being used.

I'll do a TL;DW
    • If you lack sexual attraction to someone, nobody is discriminating against you (1:12)
    • Trans doesn't really belong with lesbian and gay, but it's just been that way for a long time, so why change it?
    • If you're not having sex with anybody, how does that make you LGBT? (leading into your point that if an asexual were dating same-sex, that would be included) (2.20)
    • With asexuality, you're not changing anything (Compared to trans)
    He asked a few times why ace would be included, but it kinda makes me question why trans is included. Or why do we even have lgbt? Why do we even have a group that says "We are different to straight people"?

Honestly though, I can't think of the answers to these questions. I don't want to start a dumpster fire, but can anyone rationally explain to me like I'm 5?
    If I'm just being annoying or upsetting, please let me know. I don't mean to be a nuisance or something haha.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. Alsthom
    Sarcastic

Ratings:
    +707 / 0 / -1
    Reiichiru

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  13. Reiichiru
    Anime Lover

Reiichiru Nico!
    Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +282 / 0 / -0
    And this goal would be a lot easier working all together, right?
    [​IMG]

I think another great benefit of having ace included is being able to easily hear about their perspective on love, life, and relationships. Even if you can't relate. The more the merrier, right?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  14. Sweaters
    Sleepy

Sweaters Illuminati

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    I would think so. Still a bit new to LGBT and don't know a lot about asexuality but I do know that asexuality has a bit of its own spectrum? For example, I've heard some asexuals are only romantically attracted to the same sex which is considered LGBT even if there is no sexual attraction, right?

15. Alsthom
    Sarcastic

Ratings:
    +707 / 0 / -1
    Aces have a wonderful perspective on all that. Their ways of being intimate without sex are awesome and often sound like the perfect fairy tale romance.

16. Bornunderabadsign
    Cloud_9

Moderator Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +2,234 / 0 / -1
    Some people on the ace spectrum can be very romantic/chivalrous without every getting frustrated from lack of sex but they do need to feel appreciated. A relationship with an ace person can be just as fulfilling as someone not on the ace spectrum. And just because an an ace person doesn't really want sex or only wants sex in certain contexts doesn't mean they won't have or enjoy sex. I'm demisexual and I can and have had relations without a real connection and it was all about the physical release and/or resolution of tension. It usually isn't really any more fullfilling than self pleasure, (I've actually had some incidents of self pleasure that was arguably better), but it made me happy that it made someone else happy. I usually require a good amount of stimulation to even resolve sexual tension without the component of actual romantic love. Sex with someone that I love (eros/pragma/agape or even early on with ludus) intoxicating and almost surreal. Just the thought or memory of such moments are incredibly erotic and arousing. If that makes sense.

17. Butterfly88
    Playful

Butterfly88 Has fallen 87 times and stood up 88
    Moderator Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +2,508 / 0 / -3
    Yes, I see them as one of the + in LGBT+ since they don't have a typical sexuality. Sometimes the LGBT+ community is called the LGBTQIA (QIA meaning questioning, intersex, and asexual) community and for good reason.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  18. Alsthom
    Sarcastic

Ratings:
    +707 / 0 / -1
  19. Jo A
    Innocent

Jo A Pretty Notable

Ratings:
    +1,162 / 0 / -0
    First, this group of people are the most welcoming an care group I have ever seen. You let people be themselves and you never judge. Is that not a beautiful thing?

I have had two plutonic lovers in my life and both are part of my soul and life forever and we share more than we would ever had if we had sex.

20. Bornunderabadsign
    Cloud_9

Moderator Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +2,234 / 0 / -1
    The only one of those mentioned that I have an issue with is Two-Spirit. A person can be genderfluid, genderflux, bi-gendered, tri-gendered, or polygender but if a person claims to be Two-Spirit they had better be Native American or have Native American heritage. Furthermore it is imperative to understand that not all Native Tribes even had the concept of third or more genders. Claiming to be Two-Spirit without the framework of cultural or genetic heritage would be like me claiming to be a Hijras without having Aryan-Indian-Hindu heritage. I am not saying that being other gendered is a cultural thing because there have always been non-cisgendered people but that certain identities exist within only certain cultures and only make sense within that demographic.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.