1. $1. For $1 you can help keep the site running smoothly and disable ads for life. The site is funded by donations like this and minimal ad revenue: Click here to make a donation. Thank you!

Do many gay men take estrogen?

Discussion in 'Gay' started by GoggleHat, Jan 10, 2017.  |  Print Topic

$1 - Support the site and go ad free for life for $1. Click here to make a donation.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 7 users.
  1. GoggleHat
    Curious

GoggleHat A pansexual nerd with an affinity for stories
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -3
    Or is that mainly a transgender women thing? I hope it's okay that I ask.

2. Barefoot
    Barefooter

Barefoot Pretty Notable
    Moderator Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +1,180 / 2 / -11
    I wouldn't think so.

3. GaigetheSpacePirate
    Irritated

GaigetheSpacePirate Mistress of the Space Lanes
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +90 / 0 / -4
    Yeah, not something I would think many gay men would do. If any. They're gay, but I would assume most still consider themselves men. I know there are many who do go for a more feminine look, but they still consider themselves men.

4. GoggleHat
    Curious

Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -3
    Of course, I just heard of it being taken in at least small doses, but that may be incorrect.

5. GaigetheSpacePirate
    Irritated

Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +90 / 0 / -4
    From my understanding, and this is second hand so take it with a gain of salt, but I know there are lots of things that have a fair amount of anti-androgens in them such as soy and mint, but I have heard some men do eat these things to soften their features some what, not to the effect of taking hormones, but it does have a small effect.

6. Jingle
    Adorable

Jingle Hot Cookie
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    There are women who take estrogen for health reasons: menstrual, menopause, birth control, cancer, etc.

Straight men also take estrogen for breast and prostate cancer.

Some MtF would take it for hormone therapy, but keep in mind that this route is not always available to them.

Gays-->I would have no idea why any would take this??? Except maybe a young gay child thinking his mom's birth control was candy???? Which has happened O___O"

7. GoggleHat
    Curious

Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -3
    Regarding a gay man, the idea behind it would be softer skin and a rounder butt. At least as far as I heard.

8. GaigetheSpacePirate
    Irritated

Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +90 / 0 / -4
    That's where things liking eating more soy and doing exercises aimed at the butt would come in. Not hormones.

9. GoggleHat
    Curious

Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -3
    Right.

10. Jingle
    Adorable

Jingle Hot Cookie
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    I think using estrogen for these purposes in gay males is not optimal as they are creating an excess of estrogen in their body. This excess can lead to bone disorders, cancers, and many other health disorders. This risk is not the same when MtF take estrogen b/c they also take testosterone antagonists and most who do take hormone therapy talk to their doctor for a plan for safety. Most of my gay friends just eat really healthy and work out for nice skin and a butt lol.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  11. angel70
    Supportive

angel70 The Old Guy
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +2,541 / 0 / -15
    That sounds like something from a fake news site -- although I guess there are some people who would take just about anything.

12. DinoMom
    Cowabunga

DinoMom I am Moldovan, and we do things the Moldovan way!
    Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +227 / 2 / -49
    I hope not. There are health risks involved with upsetting your body's natural hormones, as has been mentioned.

13. Tranquility
    Mellow

Tranquility The Legend of LGBT
    Moderator Premium Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +1,287 / 1 / -67
    Actually, men who are only gay, not questioning about their gender, tend to want to look more masculine, especially in certain parts of their bodies.

Gay men really, I think, tend to spend more time toning their leg-muscles than straight men do. While straight men might find the effect to be "feminizing" (which is stupidly counterintuitive because really slender, long-looking legs are something women aspire to), gay men really have a vested interest in drawing notice to their posteriors. Gay men tend to be really anxious about having a desirable-looking posterior, which makes them really different from straight men, who want to put yellow tape over their butts that says "do not enter."

However, there are plenty of people that have questioned their gender identity and experimented with HRT to see if it fits them, yet they eventually end up identifying as gay men. That's not the same thing as just being gay. It's a gender thing. It is something that even a handful of straight men have done out of pure curiosity. Being transgender or curious about your gender identity doesn't make you "more gay." It makes you "more trans." It really unnecessarily confuses the conversation to get them mixed-up.

Being gay and having questions about your gender identity are two different topics. While someone who was born with a tendency to be attracted to men might be considerably more likely to just be a straight trans-woman, a gay man that identifies as a man usually wants to be perceived as masculine. Frankly, thinking of yourself as more "masculine" and also being attracted to "masculine" men is really, when you get right down to it, "more gay" than being deliberately androgynous and attracted to masculine men, since you want men to be attracted to you for being feminine, not for being masculine.

The gayest thing in the world is two fashionably dressed "muscle-bears" walking hand-in-hand, and if I saw another guy with a cute-looking twink on his arm and he told me he was actually straight but just likes this one boy's butt, I'd totally believe him. Two ultra-feminine looking gay men dating each other are closer to being lesbians than gay men, and if they both changed their gender, they'd just be lesbians. Being a man and being attracted to someone that is deliberately feminine-looking does not make you gay but possibly bisexual, and if you're a man who has only ever dated trans-women because you don't want kids, you're just a straight man. If we just accept people as being the gender they identify as, everything else is intuitive and easy to understand.

The difference is really which "parts" of masculinity that gay men like. Gay men pursue body-sculpting with subtly different goals. Gay men want people to notice how nice their butts look, and that's pretty intuitive, considering they want someone to desire to do something about that. You can pick them out from a mile away without the aid of magnification if you know what you're looking for. They are still perfectly masculine, and they are sometimes even exceptionally masculine because buffed-out gay gym bunnies can be as neurotic and obsessive over their appearance as any anorexic woman.

• Like Like x 1
    • Rude Rude x 1
    • List
    #13 Tranquility, Jan 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  14. Sam Jones

Sam Jones Hot Cookie
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    Why would this be? Availablity/insurance? Are some people just resistant to it? I saw on youtube a transwoman called Theryn Meyer was talking a little about her hormones, the androgen blockers weren't working at first, so when she was in danger of have excess hormones when she took estrogen. It sorted itself eventually, but I wouldn't be surprised if some were stuck with it.

15. Jingle
    Adorable

Jingle Hot Cookie
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Interesting! I actually never heard of that case before. O___O" When I last wrote that statement above, I was thinking cost, accessibility, and other factors like support system.