1. Like the site? Help us keep it running! For $5 you can help keep the site running smoothly and disable ads for life. The site is funded by donations like this and minimal ad revenue: Click here to donate $5. Thank you!

Transsexual Do gender therapists know what they are doing?

Discussion in 'Transsexual' started by Theory Elias Nygma, Sep 9, 2018.  |  Print Topic

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 6 users.
  1. Theory Elias Nygma
    Android Fan

Theory Elias Nygma For there is nothing either good or bad
    Moderator Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -15
    Most gender therapists are cisgendered. So how do you trust them to know what's trans and what's not?

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  2. Sir A.G
    Inpain

Sir A.G Trans & Pan
    Premium Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +2,729 / 1 / -5
    Maybe they can't fully understand us, but I assume they're able to tell if a person is trans or not. It's the same with psychologists, they don't need to have a mental illness to be able to diagnose and recognize one.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  3. Erin.b
    Feminine

Erin.b ♀ @ ❤
    Moderator Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +1,175 / 1 / -3
    Damn it Sir A.G !

I was just about toss fuel on that fire!

*walks out kicking a chair* stupid logic...

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Yami Bakura
    Angry

Yami Bakura ♛King of Thieves♛
    Moderator Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +2,039 / 0 / -5
    Wow Theory-san, your question is profound. How can one tell if a gender therapist does indeed know that of which they speak of?

Based on experience, I think it depends on the person. I take it by a case by case basis, each person is different. I figure if the person doesn't think I'm crazy that I'm trans and is cool with that then that's a good sign. Depends on the person. I'm actually going to see a new therapist next week and I'm a bit nervous about that very thing tbh. Although he did seem aight on the phone. We shall see.

Depends on the individual honestly. That's the I best answer I have for ye.

5. AudryLeigh
    Curious

AudryLeigh Proud tGirl

Ratings:
    +1,978 / 0 / -25
    Hey Theory,

Most of them know what they're doing, but there are people in every branch of medicine, psychiatry, psychology, and counseling who are just not good at what they do. Never hesitate to change a counselor, therapist, or shrink if they don't feel right to you. You have to be 110% comfortable with them. You have to be comfortable talking to them about EVERYTHING -- if you can't tell them everything, they can't give you good information, and you are wasting your time and money. Little things that may seem unimportant to you can be crucial to their ability to understand you in the kind of detail they need to in order to give you good advice/information. Also, never hesitate to ask such people to see their credentials. Most of the good ones will have their credentials framed and hanging on the wall.

All that said, we all know that you cannot truly understand being trans, unless you are. However, Gender Therapists, Endocrinologists, Psychs, etc. are trained to recognize the signs, and how to interpret them. They know transness intellectually, and [most of them] know it well enough to give you good accurate information. They don't have to know what it's like viscerally. Just like no one can really understand depression unless they suffer from it, but doctors know enough about it intellectually to be able to diagnose and treat it.

You cannot reject a counselor, psych, etc. just because they don't tell you what you want to hear. You can always get a second opinion, but shopping around for someone who will tell you what you want to hear is a bad practice. If you're going to do that, might's well not see one at all -- your just wasting your money. You can always find some quack who will tell you what you want to hear, but again, that's just a waste of time and money. What's worth paying for is the 12 years or so of post High School education these people have. They know [a lot] more than you do, which is the reason for going to them in the first place. Anyway, I hope this made sense and helped.

Hugs,
    Audry Leigh

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  6. NeNe
    Wishful

NeNe keep on moving.

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    You will get the odd person that's very good you also get someone like I had maybe if you are very unlucky.

I had one guy more intrested in where I was from and my degree I majored in and then slagging me off that was crap major and I live in bad location and nothing like where he is from in very posh voice.
    Sorry I live in middle of nowhere and do a degree you dont like
    TBH I feel more sorry for my mum she had to deal with me on trainee ride back home in one hell of a mood.

But yeah you get people that are very good nice and loving and then you get people that very good but also very nasty, and then you get people that dont know what they doing but nice, and then you can also get people that are like I dont care am just here.

7. AudryLeigh
    Curious

AudryLeigh Proud tGirl

Ratings:
    +1,978 / 0 / -25
    Most of them are very good. You just has some bad luck. There are asses in every profession, but you can't judge an entire profession by one person.

Hugs,
    Audry

8. NeNe
    Wishful

NeNe keep on moving.

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Very true I just had bad luck as he was not the only one sadly.

But yeah theres loads good ones out there I did meet a very nice one that was happy to transfer me to a closer clink .

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.