1. Like the site? Help us keep it running! For $5 you can help keep the site running smoothly and disable ads for life. The site is funded by donations like this and minimal ad revenue: Click here to donate $5. Thank you!

Couple Turns Bigotry Into Confetti

Discussion in 'Gay' started by Halloween, Mar 7, 2018.  |  Print Topic

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 6 users.
  1. Halloween
    Batty

Halloween ✞Яick oЯ ✞Яea✞?
    Moderator Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +1,796 / 0 / -44
    This Gay Australian Couple Made Wedding Confetti Out Of “Vote No” Posters
    Stuart Henshall and James Brechney were among dozens of couples that tied the knot at Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras.

[​IMG]

Newlyweds in Australia shaded opponents of marriage equality Down Under in the most epic way: Stuart Henshall and James Brechney shredded “Vote No” posters into confetti for their wedding Saturday atop a float at Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras.

The couple, who both campaigned for marriage equality, held onto the homophobic fliers after the nationwide postal vote.

[​IMG]

During the voting period, which ran from September to November, anti-equality activists circulated offensive posters and leaflets in various regions. In Sydney, residents found a note in their mailboxes declaring that, “Homosexuality is a tragedy of a family, a grave to the family bloodline, a curse of family sonlessness.” (The note also warned that same-sex marriage will lead “transexual women” to prey on females in the ladies room.)

In Melbourne, a poster surfaced showing men gripping rainbow belts over a scared child, with the tagline “Stop the fags” and the declaration that 92% of children raised by gay parents are abused. Another poster claimed gays and lesbians were “40% of child predators.”

[​IMG]

Nonetheless Australians overwhelmingly voted in favor of the freedom to marry and, less than a month later, parliament passed equal marriage legislation.

Brechney, the former board director of Sydney’s Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras, proposed to Henshall when the “Yes” vote was announced on November 14.

[​IMG]

“We thought, wouldn’t it be cool to get married at Mardi Gras’s 40th anniversary?” Brechney told ABC News Australia. “It’s been a bit of a rush but no regrets yet—it’s been amazing.”

But he added, getting married on a parade float is a bit of a logistical challenge.

“You’ve got to keep moving your truck so we’ve quickly got to swap the rings, say ’I do,’ sign the forms, throw a confetti canon, and we’ll be married right there in the heart of Oxford Street.”

[​IMG]

This year’s parade and festival drew more than 200,000, and included dozens of same-sex couples tying the knot—including a lucky lesbian couple who had the cast of Orange is the New Black as wedding crashers.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  2. questions

questions Greenhorn

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    What year is this???? This post should be a dusty, dank, dark entry in the history archives that nobody's dared read and that people shy away from in embarrassment and shame........ Gay couples were always here, it's just a great travesty that bigots held the power.

3. liamthomas891
    Fine

liamthomas891 Hivesark
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    They were using made up statistics to try to persuade the population. It makes me happy to see it blow up in their faces.

4. River W.
    Jammie

River W. "One day, you'll feel okay." -Pete Wentz
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +1,105 / 1 / -1
    I have to comment on the one poster that says 51% of LGBT kids have depression. Are they that dumb to realize that they're the ones causing them to develop depression? I mean, do they really think that calling them fags helps them, and will "make the gay go away"? NO! It'll just make they're mental health worse. And then they claim that it's the LGBT parents that cause them to have depression. I just can't believe the utter ignorance and bigotry of some people in the world. Will they ever learn?

5. AliceR
    No Mood

AliceR Reliable Advisor
    Premium Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +864 / 0 / -2
    I agree completely. It's easy to hate on people and then wonder why they are depressed. So dumb. :-(
    Also, I guess children of straight couples are never abused? Give me a break, people!
    Let's focus on the positive though, marriage passed and this couple in the post had a happy wedding day. :) 

6. Erin.b
    Feminine

Erin.b ♀ @ ❤
    Moderator Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +1,133 / 1 / -3
    My first Stepfather; straight, homophobic and he beat the hell out of my mom and I. He was the beginning of four decades of repression of my self. My biological father is MtF. He actually wanted to reestablish contact with me but was denied. Guess why. He actually could have helped!

Social standards, fears, taboo and straight assholes, fuck plenty of kids up. I know first hand!

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. AliceR
    No Mood

AliceR Reliable Advisor
    Premium Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +864 / 0 / -2
    I hate that you had to go through that!
    Parents like that piss me off!
    They're so fucked up!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.