1. $1. For $1 you can help keep the site running smoothly and disable ads for life. The site is funded by donations like this and minimal ad revenue: Click here to make a donation. Thank you!

"Conversations"

Discussion in 'Feedback, Suggestions, & Bugs' started by john1010101, Aug 23, 2017.  |  Print Topic

$1 - Support the site and go ad free for life for $1. Click here to make a donation.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 3 users.
  1. john1010101
    Old Hag

john1010101 Well-Known Contributor
    Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +179 / 0 / -0
    Having just commenced a conversation with one of the moderators here I've realised I don't know if such communications iare private or can be read by everyone who logs into this site.
    Can someone please let me know ?

Thanks.

2. Sir A.G
    Curious

Sir A.G Transgender Guy
    Premium Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +2,042 / 1 / -4
    If you look at the side tab in your conversation it will show who is participating in it, only those people can read the conversation. For the most part, they are private.

3. AudryLeigh
    Confused

AudryLeigh tGirl and Dedicated Advisor
    Moderator Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +752 / 0 / -15
    Hi John,

Not only are they for the most part private, they are bullet-proof private. Absolute privacy is necessary for many of the troubled teens who come here because, in many cases, if their parents found out they were on this site, and could read their interactions with people here, it could spell disaster for them. Also, we have a lot of users who live in countries where, if their government found out what they were admitting to and asking for help with here it could also be disastrous. For those very reasons, I do all the guidance work I do with people on this site in conversations, also known as PMs or "Private Messages." So have no fear, whatever you tell a mod, or anyone else in a PM or conversation can ONLY be seen by the people who are a part of that specific conversation, and unless you select the check box that allows other participants to add others to the PM, the person originating the PM is in complete control of who can see the content. It is sometimes frustrating to us, but there isn't any way Mods, or even the Admin can read other peoples' PMs.

Hugs,
    Audry Leigh

4. john1010101
    Old Hag

john1010101 Well-Known Contributor
    Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +179 / 0 / -0
    Don't want to frighten you but many countries in the middle east cough up billions to a UK IT company specializing in cracking military grade encription, hacking into social media accounts and forums etc. Known prosecutions for queer folk of all ages, political dissidents etc are frequent with many more we suspect unkown. So, we can only do what we can do to protect people but I've had occasion to warn younger middle easter posters of the extreme risks they take.
    Welcome to the 21st century and religious fundamentalism intimately meshed with state power. .
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-40276568

#4 john1010101, Sep 1, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
  5. AudryLeigh
    Confused

AudryLeigh tGirl and Dedicated Advisor
    Moderator Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +752 / 0 / -15
    Hi John,

Thanks for the heads up. We are pretty much aware of the dangers posed by fundamentalist, and some communist states to people like our users. To a large degree, we have to rely on the users to know their own governments, and evaluate their own risks, as we simply cannot keep up with all that, but we do our best. Anyway, I do appreciate your heads up. We always welcome alerts from users, because the more eyes on things, the better, so thanks again.

Hugs,
    Audry