1. Like the site? Help us keep it running! For $5 you can help keep the site running smoothly and disable ads for life. The site is funded by donations like this and minimal ad revenue: Click here to donate $5. Thank you!

Concerning

Discussion in 'News & Politics' started by AudryLeigh, May 6, 2019.  |  Print Topic

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 8 users.
  1. AudryLeigh
    Alone

AudryLeigh Proud tGirl
    Moderator Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +2,637 / 0 / -31
    I was very unhappy to find out that the US has less than 2/3 the military strength we had on 9/11, in terms of ships, planes and bombs. Discriminating use of those resources has averted at least a dozen wars -- now what. Hard to mount a show of overwhelming force, when your force isn't so overwhelming any more. And this one is not [just] Trump's fault. Regan may have been the last president who didn't scale back military spending. I have got to stop paying attention to this kind of stuff -- it's seriously fucking with my head. It's the 20 to 50 year olds who need to be mounting up, and doing something about this mess. I did my part back in the 60s and 70s, and we won several significant victories, but almost all of it has since been undone.

Audry

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  2. Barefoot
    Twisted

Barefoot Casual Observer
    Administrator Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +2,084 / 2 / -12
    Even worse, we now have a "president" who can't tell shit from Shinola when it comes to dealing with foreign powers and what BS they say to him. Either he naively trusts the wrong people or he has some secret plan he's not telling us. Either way it's dangerous.

3. Bornunderabadsign

Bornunderabadsign Transfeminine Natural Disaster
    Moderator Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +1,118 / 0 / -3
    The military is a good career option for many people and the fact that it is smaller now means not only is the U.S. less secure it means less jobs. Because of this even supporting industries are suffering. I think the last Navy ship built was the Zumwalt in 2013. That was 6 years ago... I know that Navel vessels can have a long life but you would think we would have built another by now. Another thing that concerns me is that all this means the government has less money to put towards military R&D which often also benefits civilian markets in time. Without looking into it I would venture a guess that the military buys more non-American made goods more now than ever which is a bit sad.

I think that there are many things that deserves government funding but I don't think it should come out of the military budget. I think the Military, Education, Buildings/Roads, Social Security/Medicate/Medicare, Transportation, and Healthcare are core funding areas.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  4. zen

zen Curator, Royal Academy of Inappropriate Handshake
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +898 / 0 / -7
    This is also the result of high-tech weaponry such as fine targeting missiles, radars and satellite surveillance system. Today's warfare is so high-tech that soldiers without backgrounds are useless in many places.

5. BiBiLife
    No Mood

BiBiLife Whatsername
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +1,407 / 2 / -4
    It's quite troubling to me to see how isolationist our country is becoming. Some people seem to think that if we stick our heads in the sand (as in, not having a large military force) that all the world problems will go away or at least pass us by. America has been withdrawing from the world stage for some time now, and it needs to stop.

6. AudryLeigh
    Alone

AudryLeigh Proud tGirl

Ratings:
    +2,637 / 0 / -31
    This is really troubling. Recently, the Air Force had to scavenge spare parts from airplanes in museums, to keep our planes in the air. We don't even have parts for maintenance.

7. Bornunderabadsign

Moderator Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +1,118 / 0 / -3
    That is crazy. Having to scrap out musuem pieces for spare parts.

8. Redmommy4052

Redmommy4052 Curious Explorer
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    Military spending continues to be one of our largest expenditures. I don't mind cutting from the military budget especially since spending more does not ensure pay raises or better benefits for the people who are in the military.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. Bornunderabadsign

Moderator Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +1,118 / 0 / -3
    I'm with you with the need for better benefits and pay for those in the military. To put more money towards the military without an across the board raise for those serving is stupid and abusive. But I am of the mind that few people make a living wage and we should also be able to be making enough money not just to survive but to thrive. I also believe that most government workers aren't paid enough but I also know that my local government could also work harder. I don't know how many times I've seen five people watch one dig a ditch instead of all going at it. That was a bit off topic, lol.

10. Funk Pirate
    Horny

Funk Pirate The poly, naughty bi-trans futa ^^ happy to chat
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +307 / 0 / -0
    The same thing is happening in the UK, the trouble is that the money is being used to line the pockets of the already rich and those in power.

Our militaries, schools, healthier and general infesructures are withering away while they get drunk on the power.

F the 1% they are ruining the planet and the people. Honestly I belive the western world needs a revolt, not just America but most of Europe too.

Look at Catalan in Spain, wanting to seperate, but the Spanish government simply overpowered them and its basicly holding them down.

It's a very sad sight that we all find ourselves in, yet places like Russia, China, North Korea and various Middle Eastern countries thrive with their power bases that physically abuse their people. While the western leaders are just about doing the same thing but from a more 'legal' and 'civil' way.

All in all the general person is being denied opportunity and general human rights.

It's part of the reason why the UK asked for brexit, so that we could atleast remove some of these people from above us, but in the end it also shows that our government is just as bad (if not worse) by how its all been processed, but shows that all politicians, not just in the UK, have their own personal agendas.

It's pure greed, plain and simple.

~Fiona.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  11. Bornunderabadsign

Moderator Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +1,118 / 0 / -3
    As long as everything is above the board money for government projects that go towards benefiting their people that doesn't hurt others is a good thing. One of the issues of government contracts is that most contractors are already very wealthy and may also be current or former government workers with insider knowledge and offer kick backs to the committees that hire them. I know it is a pain to keep up with the paper trail but that paper trail and unbiased auditor services is absolutely essential in combating government corruption like cronyism and nepotism and under the table deals.

12. Funk Pirate
    Horny

Funk Pirate The poly, naughty bi-trans futa ^^ happy to chat
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +307 / 0 / -0
    Unfortunatly the audit tends to be a load of bs, or at least it is in the UK.

A while before the brexit breakdowns from last year, there was a big media blow up about government expenses and that a lot of mp's had basically abused the system and what was the out come? Bugger all. Maybe a slap on the wrist? They have committed FRAUD! Yet they don't go to prison. They bearly even get fines. Its a joke and I pretty much guess its still going on and brexit is a big cover over the whole issue.

It's the same when we hear about the shady deals too, just a slap on the wrist again for committing fraud.

All of our governments are abusive to the people they govern.

~Fiona.

13. Bornunderabadsign

Moderator Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +1,118 / 0 / -3
    A big issue across the board is that upper middle class to upper class people get a whole different level of punishment for crimes. It should be that equal crime is punished by equal punishment. Why do we so harshly punish the poor and let the rich walk? A man that steals $2,000 from a service station even if by gun point shouldn't be given a harsher punishment than a man that steals $50,000,000 from his company or investors.

14. AudryLeigh
    Alone

AudryLeigh Proud tGirl

Ratings:
    +2,637 / 0 / -31
    Amen to that!
    Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely!

Audry

15. AudryLeigh
    Alone

AudryLeigh Proud tGirl

Ratings:
    +2,637 / 0 / -31
    Excuse me Redmommy4052, but what exactly are you disagreeing with? Kinda chickenshit to downrate someone without saying a word. The statistics about the numbers of serviceable ships and planes the US now has came from the American Legion, as did the fact that the Airforce had to raid museums to get spare parts. Or are you disagreeing that it's college age and middle aged people who should be the ones spearheading a movement to do something about this. Or do you disagree that my generation had a whopping impact on what the government was doing back in the 60s and 70s (too bad it all got pissed away by complacent voters). You can disagree with an opinion, but not with fact.

Just a note FYI. I am a moderator, and when a moderator asks you a question, you are required to respond, or risk being banned. Also, what is the meaning of your name? Attaching "red" to anyone has long been an indication of being a communist sympathiser, or are you a Native American?

Audry Leigh: LBGTchat Senior Staff

16. Redmommy4052

Redmommy4052 Curious Explorer
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    AudryLeigh, why do you have a problem being disagreed with? I simply think we need not spend more money on military unless we are willing to use it to pay better wages and better benefits. I also believe we need not have a huge military presence as ours is big enough as it is. Furthermore, I'd prefer if money went to solving problems here in the U.S. That's my humble opinion and I don't believe a legitimate moderator would ban me for it.

17. AudryLeigh
    Alone

AudryLeigh Proud tGirl

Ratings:
    +2,637 / 0 / -31
    I would never ban anyone for a legitimate opinion. The fact is however, that many wars have been averted by the US sending enough ships and planes to a strategic area to get the agitator to back down, based on the show of overwhelming force. That has worked every time in the past, going at least as far back as Roosevelt, maybe farther. But the last time we tried it, with Russia's land grab of the Crimean, we didn't have nearly the military hardware to even make Russia blink, and that is a very disturbing sign. It means that Russia no longer fears our military might. Also, we did nothing to back up the show of force, confirming for Russia that we are all bark and no bite, and that's downright scary. I agree about the pay and all, but in today's crazy world, we need the bite. Our entire Navy, and most of our Air Force is out of date. We learned a hard lesson in Korea, when the technology of the Russian Migs surpassed the technology we had available in our fighters. Lost a lot of airmen in that mess. But still, what finally brought on the armistice, was a massive show of American Naval firepower. You can't build destroyers and carriers overnight, and planes take a while to build too, and you need a lot of them.

These are really two separate issues. People should be paid what they are worth, but as a separate fact, we really need to have the most overwhelming military power in the world. We've still got a force, but it's no longer overwhelming. Theodore Roosevelt was fond of saying "Walk softly and carry a big stick" (an old African saying), and that's largely what we've been doing (with a few notable exceptions) since WWII, but now our "big stick" isn't so big, and that's what concerns me.

Anyway, posting your opinion is a much better way to get a point across than just handing someone a big red "X". Downratings tend to raise anyone's hackles, because you just get a permanent smudge on your record, but don't know exactly why. Sorry for the harsh tone of my post, but just getting a red mark, without any explanation is irritating. I'm pretty outspoken, so obviously, I get a few downrates, but I usually pressure the person into explaining their thinking. It's like getting a low grade on a school paper, with no comments on what you get back, so you don't know how to improve. I do agree with your point about pay, but that's to be blamed on the incredibly greedy 1%.

Hugs,
    Audry Leigh

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  18. bi dystopia

bi dystopia Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Everywhere the US goes to with its army and its misjudged self-righteousness and its hunger for oil and puppet governments, the place gets worse afterwards.

We as a planet need less bombs, guns, murder and greed - and more people like Chelsea Manning to blow the whistle on it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.