1. Like the site? Help us keep it running! For $5 you can help keep the site running smoothly and disable ads for life. The site is funded by donations like this and minimal ad revenue: Click here to donate $5. Thank you!

Community Talk Thread for Everyone over 18+

Discussion in 'Important life issues other than LGBT' started by Thief King Bakura, May 22, 2019.  |  Print Topic

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 32 users.
  1. Butterfly88
    Playful

Butterfly88 Has fallen 87 times and stood up 88
    Moderator Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +3,284 / 0 / -4
    Thief King Bakura Yep, take it one day at a time, that's all you can do. Yay to drawing.

Barefoot That stinks young people aren't getting into it. My friend who is into ham radio is 26, I don't know what you consider young. Hopefully it won't die out completely. And that is really cool you got a radio signal to go from Maine to Japan.

2. Barefoot
    Twisted

Barefoot Casual Observer. Aesthete.
    Administrator Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +2,716 / 2 / -12
    Many got into it in their teens or even earlier and some after military service. Some schools have clubs that generate interest as part of STEM curriculum but not that many. There are a lot of distractions now, mainly mobile phones and video games. And it's not well known about anymore. The youngest ham I ever heard of was licensed at 5 years old. There is no age limit to take the tests and get licensed. I've heard 2 local ones who are 12 year olds and both have their Amateur Extra license, the highest class one can attain. But that is now very rare. Most US hams I talk with are in their 60s or 70s and older but I encounter some younger ones in other countries.

3. Butterfly88
    Playful

Ratings:
    +3,284 / 0 / -4
    Good to know. I wasn't aware a license was necessary.

4. BiBearSSNV
    Caffeine Fix

BiBearSSNV Friendly Watch Bear
    Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +316 / 1 / -0
    Barefoot I know of a 16 yo girl who has gotten her license and a 10 yo boy working on getting his. He has been taking the practice exams and has gotten a 97% on one recently. I know he will be going for his license soon.

I do not have mine, due to so many irons in the fire and the cost of equipment, etc. But I encourage youth that I mentor to pursue it and other like hobbies.

5. Barefoot
    Twisted

Ratings:
    +2,716 / 2 / -12
    It's much more fun than it might sound like to some. I'm very active in it, to the point of not getting much else done. :)  There is equipment that costs very little, especially for CW (International Morse Code) use. There are also a great many digital modes involving text and images, including video. qth.com is a place where used equipment is sold and qrz.com also has a marketplace section. Facebook has a ham radio marketplace as well. These places are where used gear can be found. As always when buying, be careful. If you use PayPal and ask the seller to provide an invoice, you have protection.

6. BiBearSSNV
    Caffeine Fix

BiBearSSNV Friendly Watch Bear
    Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +316 / 1 / -0
    Great info! Thank you. I have always been interested in it, and I can share that with the youth I mentor. Also it may help with sponsorships for some of the less fortunate. In my mentor duties, I have put together packages for sponsorship and taken them to Veteran organizations, having pretty good luck getting funding. We veterans really dig helping out youth with positive programs.

7. Barefoot
    Twisted

Ratings:
    +2,716 / 2 / -12
    There are lots of kits available for little money. Many are QRP (low power, under 5 watts) and some are capable of single sideband operation. Search for ham radio kits. Some use Arduino or Raspberry Pi boards and some are more basic. Great for S.T.E.M. education and fun for anyone.

8. Pibaire
    Fine

Pibaire Village Idiot
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    I've started using GMRS to keep in touch with my ill mate when I leave the house. I'm thinking of setting her up with a 25 watt base and another on the pontoon boat to extend the range. I'd like to be able to hit repeaters, too; I'm a former medic, and it feels sketchy hiking outside of cell coverage without a radio.

#188 Pibaire, Feb 6, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2021
  9. Pibaire
    Fine

Pibaire Village Idiot
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    I've been having a really hard time. I usually manage pretty well, but things have been getting worse. I see my doctor Tuesday, and hope that they'll start me back on SSRI's. I've been off meds for over ten years, but this is just getting really hard.

10. Butterfly88
    Playful

Ratings:
    +3,284 / 0 / -4
    I'm sorry to hear you are struggling. I hope your doctor's appointment goes well and that meds will be helpful.

11. JordanJam

JordanJam Lurker

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Maybe this needs a new thread but it is somewhat related since they have so many demands looking for a succesful Coach to volunteer. I would figure if they were succesful they would be somewhere that paid.

What are the most succesful programs that currently have volunteer pole vault coaches? Only two i even know Of are Rice and VT.

12. ElleElle123

ElleElle123 Queer Queen
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    I'd like to add a random thought into this thread:

I really miss formally volunteering. I love giving the organizations I support my time instead of money. I can't wait until I can volunteer again.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  13. Altasan
    Lucky

Altasan something something
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    I totally agree with you! I really haven’t volunteered as much as should have as an adult and thoroughly regret it. I’m looking forward to the end of this pandemic so I can get out there and start volunteering more.

14. ElleElle123

ElleElle123 Queer Queen
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    I wanted to give more of my time to LGBTQ+ organizations. I feel like donating money isn't enough to fill my altruistic soul hahaha. I want to help my local pride centre.

15. Altasan
    Lucky

Altasan something something
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    The the thing I’d most like to get involved in is helping the homeless. It’s a really bIg issue in my city and I feel like I really haven’t been doing my part. :( 

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  16. Pibaire
    Fine

Pibaire Village Idiot
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    I spent a lot of time volunteering with rescue squads and VFD's before I got my Paramedic patch and went 'pro'. Now I'm disabled and don't seem much good for anything.

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.