1. Like the site? Help us keep it running! For $5 you can help keep the site running smoothly and disable ads for life. The site is funded by donations like this and minimal ad revenue: Click here to donate $5. Thank you!

Asexual Coming out to parents

Discussion in 'Questioning & General LGBT' started by Anonymous Ace, Nov 3, 2018.  |  Print Topic

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 3 users.
  1. Anonymous Ace

Anonymous Ace Lurker

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ok so I need to rant about what’s happening to me right now. Please offer some advice if you can. I’ve never come out to anyone irl before.

My dad’s kinda homophobic. He’s not outright “GAYS SHOULD DIE” homophobic but the more subtle type where you can tell he’s prejudiced.
    Yesterday we got on the topic of romance. I’m an honest person and we were just talking. He asked and I said that I’m not into guys or girls, which is true because I’m aroace. I also said that I’m not interested in marrying girls, but I don’t know how I’ll feel when I’m older.
    I think he interpreted that as I’m lesbian, which isn’t true. His view of sexuality is so gay or straight there’s no inbetween.

I don’t know why I was able to admit those things so easily to him and idk what to do. I’m freaking out now but it felt like no big deal then. I have so many questions but it’s hard for me to think logically about this. Did that count as coming out? Is it worth it to explicitly say that I’m not lesbian?

Please give me advice if you can. Idk whether I should just ignore the situation or what I should do.

2. MikaIsAHuman
    Musical

MikaIsAHuman Human...maybe?
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    How did he react when you told him that?
    From what I've got he hasn't acted out in a bad way.
    If you feel like he has the wrong idea try and talk with him about it.
    Don't rush it though, do take your time, think over what you want to say and do.

Hope this helps.
    Mika.

3. Karen Lyn Steele

Karen Lyn Steele Hot Cookie
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Coming out to a parent can be the hardest thing we do. It may take some time for him to process what you said. Like Mika said, don't rush it.

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.