1. Like the site? Help us keep it running! For $5 you can help keep the site running smoothly and disable ads for life. The site is funded by donations like this and minimal ad revenue: Click here to donate $5. Thank you!

Bridging the LGBTQ Generation Gap

Discussion in 'News & Politics' started by Barefoot, Jul 8, 2019.  |  Print Topic

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 6 users.
  1. Barefoot
    Twisted

Barefoot Casual Observer
    Administrator Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +2,125 / 2 / -12
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  2. Bornunderabadsign
    Cheerful

Bornunderabadsign Transfeminine Natural Disaster
    Moderator Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +1,505 / 0 / -3
    I've always got along better with people older than me. But, I understand how there are difficulties. Young people need to be patient and willing to listen and older people need to be willing to listen as well. I'm not sure how to bridge this divide other than to destroy ageism altogether.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Jo A
    Innocent

Jo A Reliable Advisor
    Premium Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +620 / 0 / -0
    Thank you for sharing and reminding us we are one.

I am one year new of acceptance I am non binary so I am both new and old at the same time.

The one thing I have learned from this group of wonderful people is there is a common caring for each other and the pain we have all had. It is with open hearts we stand together.

Peace

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. Jianghu
    Yeehaw

Jianghu I got a big mouth
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +194 / 0 / -0
    I've been wanting this sort of discussion for a long time. Thanks for posting, Barefoot.

HELPFUL HINT (?) - The video is easy to LISTEN to, while you multi-task... people speak slowly and clearly. It's 11 minutes long.

Generation gaps are a fact of life. I do like how younger people are taking the hard-won victories and carrying them further. (They're not just sitting on their asses playing video games, lol.)

For example, fighting for pronouns, and shaping a broader range of gender identities. I'm struggling to catch up, but I'm grateful to have the chance.

Lack of communication isn't just a threat to LGBT+. Nowadays, everybody is affected in some way by the "epidemic of loneliness."

Still, we as LGBT+ have to make an extra effort to bridge the gap – because we're so far apart when it comes to interacting in the "real" non-digital world.

#4 Jianghu, Jul 9, 2019 at 9:26 AM
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2019 at 9:27 AM
  5. Tights_and_Skirts
    Tired

Tights_and_Skirts Reliable Contributor
    Moderator Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +520 / 0 / -2
    I think the generational gap in society as whole is based on a perception from the older generation that the newer is handed everything, because they remember what they fought for/earned; and the younger both resent the idea that they must therefore lead easy lives and also blame many problems (rightly or wrongly) on their elders.

Realistically, my generation probably “has it better” than all previous in most ways but there’s something of a condescension from older people as though we now have no problems which creates friction.

So too in the LGBT community, those of the past two generations undoubtedly endured far worse and have created an age where, for the most part in the West, sexuality is accepted and most laws prohibiting sexuality etc have been removed. That said, we still have problems to tackle and the “back in my day” mentality is incredibly frustrating to people trying to improve things, like a suffering competition. Gate-keeping I suppose.

I think the key thing, both here and in society, is not to segregate problems as generational/gendered/age and tackle all problems as a community. More so in the LGBT community, because we need to remain united.

To quote an old miners union song:
    Solidarity forever,
    Solidarity forever,
    Solidarity forever,
    For the Union makes us strong.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
    #5 Tights_and_Skirts, Jul 9, 2019 at 1:38 PM
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2019 at 1:39 PM
  6. Kahlan

Kahlan Addictive Contributor
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +178 / 0 / -1
    But we want too.

Probably, in part, because we want to sit on our asses and play video games. Add to this, cell phones, social media, etc., which removes the most important part of human interaction and contact, actual physical contact. It gets far more complex than this I am sure, but I did say "in part."

Speaks of that Ageism that Born mentions in her post...so very true. Many people, it seems, has a generational chip on their shoulder. It doesn't help that we label each generation, and one of them is actually called "The Greatest," lol, lets all try and live up to that shall we? :-P Baby Boomers are pissed because they are basically known (in name only) for what their parents did, have tons of sex...hmm, maybe they are the greatest.

It's an understandable position though. I mean, you spend a formidable part of your life trying to do and accomplish things to make this world better in your estimation, and then watch the next one undo, tweak, mess up, make better, etc. it's hard to let go, almost like empty nester syndrome I guess. But I do agree with you, each generation must let go with dignity, pass that baton, or they will just stand angrily in the way as they eventually get trampled by progress. Best to keep working towards that progress and mentor the young. The young need guidance, not handcuffs.

*applause* I take this one step further, "here" is society. The longer we segregate ourselves, the longer it will take for us to become part of mainstream society. Yes, we live in it and exist in it all the time, but like everything else from Race to Cultural differences to gov't systems, etc., an Us vs. Them mentality will only serve to hinder/extend our own progress towards acceptance and equality.

#6 Kahlan, Jul 10, 2019 at 9:55 AM
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2019 at 9:59 AM
  7. Larry45
    Benevolent

Larry45 Amateur bisexual
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +846 / 0 / -2
    Frankly I didn’t realize I was lgbt til I was 45 so I’m not even sure I have a say in this conversation. Younger people do confuse me at times, but it’s not a big deal

8. Kahlan

Kahlan Addictive Contributor
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +178 / 0 / -1
    I'm conjuring all these images of a mid life crisis gone wilder than expected.

9. Larry45
    Benevolent

Larry45 Amateur bisexual
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +846 / 0 / -2
    Lol. Maybe not that crazy. Tbh. I knew along just ignored it. That would make for a funny movie though

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.