1. Like the site? Help us keep it running! For $5 you can help keep the site running smoothly and disable ads for life. The site is funded by donations like this and minimal ad revenue: Click here to donate $5. Thank you!

Autism

Discussion in 'Disability' started by LouisBlue, Oct 14, 2017.  |  Print Topic

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 35 users.
  1. AudryLeigh
    Alone

AudryLeigh proud Tgirl
    Moderator Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +3,246 / 0 / -38
    Hey Floppy

Both of your references are interesting and contain some information that is new to me. However, both point out the difficulty of obtaining a proper diagnosis, so I wouldn't put too much stock in what your friend said, but I would recommend following your counselor's advice to see a psychologist to get a correct diagnosis. BTW, I really appreciate it when someone cites credible references to support a point -- it helps to broaden my understanding. Depression and/or anxiety almost always accompany PTSD, so it is likely that you suffer from one or both of them. I have had a diagnosis of PTSD induced depression/anxiety disorder from 4 different professionals (a psychiatrist, a psychologist, a therapist, and a GP), though no one has been able to uncover anything in my life that would qualify as a traumatic experience, but I have been fighting with the associated depression and anxiety for over 50 years now (since before depression was even really recognized for what it is). You're lucky in that medical science now knows a WHOLE LOT MORE about these things than was known when I first started having trouble. For over 20 years I got one misdiagnosis after another, after another, before I finally got similar diagnoses from two different doctors.

Hugs,
    Audry Leigh

2. LouisBlue
    Creative

LouisBlue Dedicative Contributor
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +250 / 0 / -0

I don't want to be elitist, but if you don't think you have autism, why do you post on this thread? I made this more to find other people with autism and to give the a thread to find others as well. This discussion doesn't seem to fit here. Maybe you can have it in personal messages or make another thread?

I don't mean to be rude. It is just my opinion.

3. AudryLeigh
    Alone

AudryLeigh proud Tgirl

Ratings:
    +3,246 / 0 / -38
    Erm Louis,

The thread is still very much about autism, and doesn't seem to me to have been derailed. You are talking about a total of four posts (two by Floppy and two by me) out of a total of over 80 posts, and the first of those was simply Floppy trying to educate people about the fact that there is a significant problem with separating autism and PTSD in the diagnostic process -- something I would think would be of interest to people on the autism spectrum. Also, you titled the thread "Autism," not "Looking for people with autism," and Floppy's post most certainly fits under the topic "Autism." If you didn't want the thread to be about autism in general, you shouldn't have used such a broad title. I'm sorry, but your last post here did strike me as being a bit rude, but it's a rudeness that I would naturally overlook because it came from a person on the autism spectrum, and people with autism don't always recognize when they are being rude. Except for the post above, nowhere did you state your intention: "I made this more to find other people with autism and to give the a thread to find others as well," and I'm sorry to be picky, but the last part of that statement doesn't make sense. Not wanting to be overly critical here, just defending Floppy over something that I think you were unnecessarily harsh with her about.

Sincerely,
    Audry Leigh

4. HuntikFan1017

HuntikFan1017 Greenhorn

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    i’ve autism since i was 2 years old. i like to meet new friends!

5. LouisBlue
    Creative

LouisBlue Dedicative Contributor
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +250 / 0 / -0
    Well, this is a good place to start. Welcome!

6. Butterfly88
    Playful

Butterfly88 Has fallen 87 times and stood up 88

Ratings:
    +2,789 / 0 / -3
    FloppyDiskGirl95 I have both autism and PTSD. The causes are different but it is very possible to have both as I do. There have been times when I have struggled and it was hard to know what it was from. I agree that you should see a professional.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jan 5, 2020 ---
    Welcome!

7. Judith Bisby

Judith Bisby Lady Androgyne

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    im autistic as well!

8. Butterfly88
    Playful

Ratings:
    +2,789 / 0 / -3
    Welcome! Good to see you here.

9. Bernardo del Jubio
    Beer Lover

Bernardo del Jubio The Pan Knight

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    I, too, am on the autistic spectrum and pansexual.

10. Butterfly88
    Playful

Ratings:
    +2,789 / 0 / -3
    Cool. I'm an autistic lesbian.

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.