1. Like the site? Help us keep it running! For $5 you can help keep the site running smoothly and disable ads for life. The site is funded by donations like this and minimal ad revenue: Click here to donate $5. Thank you!

"Author of a Christian book Apologized to the LGBTQ Community"

Discussion in 'News & Politics' started by Thief King Bakura, Jul 29, 2019.  |  Print Topic

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 8 users.
  1. Thief King Bakura
    Balanced

Thief King Bakura The THief king is back....To raise some hell!
    Moderator Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +3,992 / 0 / -7
    I found this interesting article in which a guy of some Christian dating book apologizes to the LGBTQ Community as a whole.

Click HERE if you want to read the article in question. It's an interesting read.

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

My Thoughts

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

I am honestly surprised when I read this article. It kind of renewed my faith in humanity a bit. It is good to know that people can change and recognize that their past actions have consequences. My views about the overly religious weaponizing their faith hasn't changed but it is good to know that people can change. He seems like a good man who realized that the way he treated people was wrong, owned up to it, and apologized for it. He didn't have to do that.

LGBT people like myself and many here have a hard relationship with faith and the church because of it being so conflicting. Things are getting better. There is a website that helps find LGBTq friendly churches.

Website to find LGBT affirming churches:
    www.gaychurch.org

Just wanted to share this article because I found it interesting. Subjects like this are interesting to me. Let's discuss respectfully down below. I'd like to hear your thoughts on the matter.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
    #1 Thief King Bakura, Jul 29, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
  2. Bornunderabadsign
    Gloomy

Bornunderabadsign Transfeminine Natural Disaster
    Moderator Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +1,790 / 0 / -3
    I wish him all the best and I am glad that he is seeing that he was in error over dating, agency of women, and LGBTQ+. I am saddened by his loss of faith. However I am hesitant about him because he and other leaders of his church didn't bring a child sex abuse case to the police and instead handled it internally in his church.

3. Thief King Bakura
    Balanced

Ratings:
    +3,992 / 0 / -7
    Holy shit, I didn't think of that. But you're absolutely right! The church has NOT handled the cases of child sexual abuse very well. That is very true. You bring up a very good point here. The whole subject of sexual abuse in the church is a dark subject but it needs to be talked about, especially by people who are in the church like priests and parishioners alike. Nobody says anything about it, it's disgusting. I could go on and on about how sick it makes me, especially being a survivor of sexual assault myself. I want to see justice for those who have been violated by these predator priests. Fucking sickos, the lot of them.

Sorry that escalated quickly lol. But for real, I'm hesitant about him as well for the points you brought up and more.n

4. Bornunderabadsign
    Gloomy

Bornunderabadsign Transfeminine Natural Disaster
    Moderator Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +1,790 / 0 / -3
    There are few denominations that haven't faced one controversy or another. I don't blame the entire denomination only those involved in the crime and those that cover it up. People are people and people from all walks of life can be evil and I don't think a group should be punished for the acts of a few.

5. Jo A
    Innocent

Jo A Active Veteran
    Premium Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +837 / 0 / -0
    I am blessed with a friend who showed me that God has not left me, without forcing me to get back into religion.

I have to much pain caused by those wjo appointed themselves a God's voice and enforcer.

I do know there has been more openness in the religious world to whom and what we are, and for that I am thankful for our youth in this family as religion can have a place in peoples life's that give purpose to things.

Thank you for giving this thread for this - Jo A

6. Kahlan

Kahlan Dedicative Advisor
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +538 / 0 / -1
    I still have a "promise ring" that my parents gave me when I was about 10 years old, based on the teachings of his book. *smirk* It's nice to see he's changed his views. Pretty sad that it apparently also means he can't be a christian, and I'm presuming cost him his marriage as well. We all need to be able to agree to disagree. I half expect him to come out as gay sometime in the next year or so. Like he's on some sort of 5 step plan: 1. leave church. 2. denounce book. 3. get divorce. 4. come out as gay. 5. go on new book and talk show tour. :-P My cynicism is in high gear today.

#6 Kahlan, Jul 29, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
  7. BiBiLife
    Studious

BiBiLife Whatsername
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +2,003 / 2 / -4
    Heh, I knew it would be Josh Harris even before I clicked the link. I never read his book, but I've heard about it and the "purity culture" it kind of triggered in evangelical circles. I'm glad he changed his mind, but it makes me sad he left faith to do so. As Bakura mentioned, LGBT+ individuals often have a complicated relationship with faith. Personally, I've found it's the people who think they can judge others that make it complicated.

8. NicolaYKim
    Studious

NicolaYKim Curious Learner
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    Doing bad deeds to gather support and influence in its religion group then white-washing all of them to be re-packed as an angel?
    Well played, man, well played.

9. Thief King Bakura
    Balanced

Ratings:
    +3,992 / 0 / -7
    [​IMG]

10. ConfusedButHappy
    Dreaming

ConfusedButHappy Bi Closet Dweller
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +255 / 0 / -0
    What an interesting situation!

Reminds me of a book about puberty my mom gave me when I was 13. The book had an entire chapter dedicated to explaining how unfortunate it is that some boys turn out gay due to abuse, exclusion and playing piano.

The author of mine didn't have a change of heart though... the court forced her to remove it.
    Glad to see this turned out differently!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  11. Thief King Bakura
    Balanced

Ratings:
    +3,992 / 0 / -7
    We can't control how people think, even though we know how wrong they are for using their religion to hurt others. All we can do is know that WE have an opportunity to change how we react to a situation: example, Homophobes being assholes. We don't like it that they're being assholes but we can't control them from being assholes. Does that make sense? All we can do is have faith in our own way, believe that god or whatever force loves us and be confident with that in ourselves.

I appreciate everyone taking the time to reply with very thoughtful replies. It's been great to read all your different points of view.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  12. Joshua Aaron
    No Mood

Joshua Aaron Autistic Bisexual
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    My best friend knows how to play piano really well, and he is straight!

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.