1. Like the site? Help us keep it running! For $5 you can help keep the site running smoothly and disable ads for life. The site is funded by donations like this and minimal ad revenue: Click here to donate $5. Thank you!

Asking NON United States people for their opinion

Discussion in 'News & Politics' started by Pixie Poodle, Aug 14, 2019.  |  Print Topic

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 10 users.
  1. Pixie Poodle
    Wishful

Pixie Poodle Pixie
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +202 / 0 / -3
    I guess this is politics so I'll put it here. What I am about to say is not an LGBTQ thing but it seems right to talk about it here. This forum has a fair number of non US people in it and that is what I need right now.
    I have a male not close relative who travels outside the US often and married a woman from Thailand. The wife's family was invited to visit the US. They are absolutely afraid to do so. They believe there is a good chance they will be shot down in the street while here. This opinion was expressed over three years ago. God knows what they think now. Apparently (so the male relative says) this is a common belief for people living in Asia.
    I am asking those on this forum who have never been to the United States, not just those who might live in Asia. Is this what you think?
    Pixie

2. tdil35
    Joyful

tdil35 Hot Cookie
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    As a Caucasian European, I can't say that I have felt that. I have been to the States a few times and have not had issues.
    However coming from a country that has an unarmed police force, it freaked me out to see guns on the street. You also have to keep in mind the different perspective given to news stories by foreign journalists. Your relatives family may only be hearing about shootings in the US carried out by white supremacists. And racist comments by President Trump. If that is all they know of the US then of course they are scared.

ETA the news reporting here is quite balanced as we have economic ties to US. But you don't know what other nations are hearing about your country

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
    #2 tdil35, Aug 15, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
  3. Soheil
    Sunshine

Soheil Linguaphile extremist...
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +244 / 0 / -1
    As an Iranian, I don't think like that at all. Untied States is a very big country and of course has its own morons like every other nation.
    Recent incidents didn't change my opinion at all.

I am sure most Iranian people like the US. As they hate the mullahs' #Gender_apartheid_regime.

4. Li407
    Procrastinating

Li407 Bad at multiple choice questions
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +52 / 0 / -0
    As a mixed raced English girl, I have to say, getting shot or stabbed or caught up in some other form of violence by going to America is definitely a worry that's become more prevalent in the last couple of years, particularly if you're visibly not white (to put it bluntly).

As tdil35 said, the idea that both the police and your average person on the street could have a loaded gun AND be prepared to use it as soon as they feel threatened is terrifying. Add in the fact that extremists (regarding race, gender, sexuality, etc) are becoming more and more confident... America doesn't feel as safe a place to visit as a country of its standing should. Amnesty International even recently issued a travel warning for tourists thinking of visiting America. And while the validity of such a warning is somewhat questionable due to Amnesty International not typically issuing such a warning for any other country (as far as I'm aware), it's still going to cause non-Americans to feel validated in their worries.

Don't get me wrong, I still want to visit (seeing an NHL game in person is on my bucket list after all) but I am not too sure about visiting in the current social climate.

5. Pixie Poodle
    Wishful

Pixie Poodle Pixie
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +202 / 0 / -3
    Not getting into nuances it seems to be running 2 to 1 in favor of 'Not really a concern'. Still not what I would call an unworrying number. I hope over time the numbers improve. Still not getting into nuances, but Li407 has a strong point that never entered my mind, but I can see that it should have, especially with the effing moron we currently have in the office of President, but only for the next 17 months.

6. BlazeTheDog
    Depressed

BlazeTheDog Whatever you do, do it well. – Walt Disney
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    I asked my Uncle from Spain about this and he said that if he visited America he would stay away from public places and popular tourist attractions for fear of being shot. As for myself I am gay and I live in a very conservative area, I fear being murdered every day. I go to school and wonder if I'll be alive the next day. Since 2012 2,187 mass shootings happened in the U.S and 2,461 people have died because of them. Laws need to be passed so all of these shootings will end.

7. ReneeB

ReneeB Greenhorn

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    You have the same odds of being killed in a mass shooting in the US as you do of getting killed by a lightning strike in the US.

Unfortunately the media cannot be trusted anymore—don’t believe everything you see on television.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. Li407
    Procrastinating

Li407 Bad at multiple choice questions
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +52 / 0 / -0
    You may have the same chance of getting shot in the mass shooting in the US as you do getting hit by lightning in the US but if your visiting from a country where mass shootings are an unthinkable occurrence, that chance is comparatively enormous.

9. Tights_and_Skirts
    Tired

Tights_and_Skirts That Girl
    Moderator Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +595 / 0 / -2
    I have to say, I really wouldn’t be very concerned about going. That said, I’m white and British so have little to fear from racists unless I got caught in an antifa march or something. As said above, it’s observation bias - we hear about all shootings etc but not all the times when nothing happens so our perception of the US is that it’s all shootings, all the time. Also have to remember how massive the US is - all those shootings in a small place like Thailand or Britain would be much closer to home than a shooting in Florida for someone in Washington.
    Gin xxx

10. ConfusedButHappy
    Dreaming

ConfusedButHappy Bi (and no longer a closet dweller)
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +377 / 0 / -0
    I live in South Africa and recently when to the US for two weeks with my dad.

While we weren't in constant fear, I must admit that I occasionally felt uneasy in public spaces.

South Africa's crime stats are much higher than the US (I'm pretty sure), BUT I know where to go and not to go. The thing that makes the US "scary" is that in the past, bad things have happened in places that people thought were safe. Even if the chances are incredibly low, there's a feeling of uncertainty surrounding the issue.

Didn't stop us from going at all though, and we had a great time! :) 

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.