1. Like the site? Help us keep it running! For $5 you can help keep the site running smoothly and disable ads for life. The site is funded by donations like this and minimal ad revenue: Click here to donate $5. Thank you!

anxiety and eye contact

Discussion in 'Health - Physical/Mental' started by xxLovelyxx, May 11, 2020.  |  Print Topic

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 5 users.
  1. xxLovelyxx
    Frustrated

xxLovelyxx Just your friendly neighborhood whatever.
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +233 / 0 / -0
    Okay, so, here's the thing.
    I have a really hard time with making eye contact
    It freaks me out and makes me panic. I feel like I often come off as disrespectful because u cant make and maintain eye contact with anyone.
    Does anyone else with anxiety have this problem? Or anyone at all? What's it like for you?
    ♤Jamie♤

2. LouisBlue
    Frustrated

LouisBlue Addictive Contributor
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +424 / 0 / -1
    I have problem with eye contact as well. For me it is mostly because of my autism. I don't like eye contact. I have depression and anxiety as well, but I don't get panicked or worried. It just makes me very very uncomfortable. With people I know I am a bit better, but I am still extremely uncomfortable with it.

3. xxLovelyxx
    Frustrated

xxLovelyxx Just your friendly neighborhood whatever.
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +233 / 0 / -0
    I've heard about eye contact being hard on people with autism. I considered briefly that there was a possibility that I am autistic is some sense but I think it's just my anxiety.

4. Iharos
    Bookworm

Iharos Addictive Contributor
    Supporter Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +107 / 0 / -0
    A very very dear friend of mine cannot look others into their eyes too. She mostly looks past my face on one or the other side, or simply looks away. We studied together, so at first I didn't notice it much. Only after we got closer friends I noticed. I've never asked her about that. Also, because over the past years she had some moments of looking straight into my eyes, for a short moment.
    So I respect that there is something keeping her from doing so. That is completely fine. Do not stress yourself because of this. We all have different things to face. Don't judge yourself for this. If you have a chance to look behind it and figure out what makes you afraid of it or why you don't want to look into others' eyes, it'll be of help to change it, with time. :) 

5. Scymew
    Loved

Scymew 天神

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I can't keep eye contact with people either it makes my anxiety worse and it doesn't help that I also have a very bad lazy eye.

6. Vic2021

Vic2021 Lurker

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I remember this phenomenon, happening to me, too. Whenever I tried to hide my intentions or desires face to someone else ...

7. Fuzzlez

Fuzzlez Great Learner
    Beloved Member

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    I have social anxiety and quite possibly (what I suspect anyway) high functioning autism. I'm quite dysfunctional socially, but I've learned to adapt. Eye contact is hard because I feel like we're staring each other down. I try to tell myself "look at them" and sometimes it helps.

I'm quite strange really. I don't like to look at them, maintain eye contact, or even be around them, yet if I was completely alone it would unnerve me.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Support the site and hide ads for life for $5. Click here to donate.